Please give me advice on this chick-*twisted beak*UPDATE Pg.4

I don't know if you've ever figured out what type of chick that you have, so I thought I would chime in and tell you that it is a Mille Fleur d'Uccle. I had one with a severe cross beak like yours and she didn't make it. I hope yours does okay! She does sound like she's thriving.
smile.png

An Update on Ziggy:

I am really sad. Ziggy has done quite well for a bit now- managed to have a full crop every time I checked her, and she even has managed to be alpha-chick when I added 18 week old Buff Orps to my group. Standing up tall and proud and chasing them off. She has grown some, and I am head over heels attached. Her beak is horrid but I keep full dishes of food at all times, and she does/did great.

It is a slow process- realizing that they arent doing as well as they once were. Trying harder, crop not being as full. Now this. Her eye- the one that the lower beak lies right below- well, now it gets food in it. Lots of feed. I clean her eye out, flush it, etc. However, Zig is starting to NOT thrive. Now, I need to either find a new way or let her go. Before her eye ulcerates.

Of course we love her to pieces. Of course, she is inseparable with Ashley, my silkie- roost together, hang out together in the yard, Ziggy hides/snuggles with her all the time. My daughter loves her dearly. She has had a great summer. Lived longer than she would have if we hadn't intervened.

But, we brought her home so she wouldn't suffer. I won't let her suffer here. I took her in to work for my boss to dremel her, and she said, "Why won't you let me put her down?" She dremeled the edge of the lower beak that presses against her lower eyelid, and the tip of both upper and lower- but she cant do much to it. They bleed badly with even the slightest trim. She said she could debeak her- but it would be so painful, and it wouldnt help her because the lower beak goes so far to one side.

She ate oatmeal yesterday. I was very happy- normally, any treats I give the girls are too hard for Ziggy (watermelon excluded). I have handfed her waxworms. Not an easy task- worms don't cooperate, and I have to stuff them in- however, I don't mind helping. I took out cooked oatmeal, the other chickens thought it was poison until Ziggy started pigging out. Then they all wanted it.

So, to sum it all up- if I can find a way to let her eat without food getting into her eye, she will probably do ok. If I cannot, then I need to put her down. As painful as it will be for us here, who are so attached- its not about us, and our feelings- its about Ziggy and her quality of life.
sad.png

A great responsibility comes with animal husbandry. Culling is the absolute hardest thing to do. I understand your emotions completely.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you, Miss Prissy. I have done what I could for her- and life is about quality, not quantity. My plan is to try and be inventive- through the fall. I know that if I can keep her eye ok, she will do fine through the fall but I do not believe she will do ok for the winter that cometh. Too much energy put into eating , won't leave enough energy to keep warm. No, bringing her indoors isn't an option- not because of us or any hangups here- but because its all about quality of life. She would not be happy in here, she is part of my flock out there- with Ashley. I won't bring her in just to keep her around for us.

Knowing that doesnt make it any easier.

chickens083-1.jpg

chickens077.jpg

is it true when you have a bird that is like that, that it is more likely to get sick/diseases and it give it to your whole flock? I heard that it was true and alot of people are telling me to kill it. But i really dont want to kill it because he is big pet now and everyone is attached to him.

My friend has a severe crossed beak mille fleur duccle cockeral. He looks as bad as yours does, no offense intended. She has kept his top beak shorter by cutting it and feeds out of deep bowls. He cannot eat out of shallow bowls. I have not read the entire thread yet, maybe it was covered already, maybe not, but maybe this method will help you out. Also supplimenting vitamins with aviacharge2000 might be helpful. Best of luck to you.

I already did the deep bowls and beak trimming- cant trim it back any more than we have though, because of the pain level and the bleeding. She has progessed to "the next level"...where the food is packing into her eye. So, right now I am trying to make that horrid decision to put her down.

To Turkens R Cute,

She has never been sick or diseased, a handicap doesnt make them diseased. I can see where they may be more susceptible to catching something because they dont have the energy to fight something off- but I havent had any problems at all with her except her obvious handicap.

Thanks for everyone who responded to my question about taking care of a twisted beak Polish chick. I put a mixture of chicken scratch, chopped vegetables and water in a deep dish in her cage-which she shares with another Polish chick. I think she is eating on her own, but I am not sure how much actually goes down her gullet, so I hand-feed her every morning with some baby parrot formula called "Exact". She has been gaining weight and seems happy and energetic enough. I also trimmed the tip of her beak. The other chick is heavier, but he's a rooster. Do roosters grow larger and faster than chickens?

Thanks again.

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom