please give me some advice on getting new chicks

newfrom NJ

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Was devestated to see my favorite chicken a little Millie Fleur had been killed by (probably) a hawk. The three chickens had been free ranging on my acre of property for 10 months without incident so it was a bit of a shock. Went onto mypetchicken.com to order a small amount of chicks for spring ( preferably march/april). Their waiting list is until the end of may! I wouldnt get my chicks until May 30. Does anyone know where I can order some quality chicks? the catch is I specifically want: 1 light brahma standard one buff brahma bantan, one millie fleur, one white capped black polish, and one barred rock bantam, all pullets. HELP!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Never had a hawk problem in the 2 years we stayed on our farm and suddenly one day one killed a chick. And then came back a few days later for another one, who thankfully got away.

There's a list of hatcheries and breeders here that you can try:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/285981/breeder-and-hatchery-index

I am so sorry about the loss of your special chicken. I would LOVE to free range my flock of
Heritage Breeds ( Welsummers, Ameraucanas, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks ) as we have
a lovely field on our property and lots of woods, etc. - perfect for free ranging - problem is we also
have lots of hawks, foxes, neighborhood dogs, possums, racoons, owls ............... all of whom love
chickens too!

We settled for having a very large indoor coop that has access to an equally secure and maximum
predator proofed outdoor covered run that is also huge. We grow organic gardens, fruit, etc. and my flock gets daily forage that I bring them from our property. They seem to be extremely happy
and get plenty of sunshine and fresh air, can look out over the property and they even go up
into the rafters of the run's roof and 'could' fly out if they wanted to but must really like their present 'setup' as in over a year no bird has ever flown down to the pasture! Instead, they walk to the end
of the rafter, look out over the field, maybe nap a little there and then turn around and walk the
'plank' the other way back into the run and to their security and safety.

You may find that even the large poultry producers and hatcheries only have the more
common breeds available this time of year. If you want those specific birds you will most probably
have to wait until late Spring but I would go on and place your order now so it isn't even later
when you get your birds.

I've been very pleased with both the birds and service I've received from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio.

In fact I'm expecting 50 chicks next week from them - two orders consisting of 25 each of their 'All Pullet Rainbow Egg Layers Assortment'.

Last edited:
I am extremely happy with the chicks we received from Murray McMurray and they have availability in Jan/Feb of most breeds.

Sorry for your loss and I hope that you are able to find what you need to help fill the void!! It always seems to be our favorite chicken that is lost to predators and such.

Just a suggestion - you might see if anyone in your area - would want to split an order of chicks with you. That way you get what you want, and they get what they want, and you can split the shipping too, it's a win-win for all parties and opens up a lot of choices with other hatcheries that have a minimum order. :)

I'm doing that with someone in my area in February.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your condolences it is extremely appreciated. I ended up placing an order with Ideal Poultry after a reccomendation from someone on this thread lead me to their website. They have a tie in with my local Agway and it all worked out great. I ordered 1 millie fleur, 1 white crested black polish, 1 light brahma bantam, and 1 bantam barred rock . I live about 16 miles from the jersey shore and my chicken coop was completely destroyed in the hurricane along with my 700 gallon pond and all the stonework around it, pool deck and other random BUT REPLACEABLE items lol. I hired a contractor to build me a new coop 10 feet long by 7 feet wide with an electric switch inside. the design is beautiful and I cant wait to post pics of it! Thank god i have this forum to be excited about chicken things. MY FRIENDS THINK IM NUTS!

Back
Top Bottom