Please give me some ideas on how to catch'em

bigoledude

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
SE, Louisiana
I've asked this before, along with other questions. The government is having deputies shoot the "nuisance" Muscovy ducks that have grown in numbers along the canals.

I can have as many as I want, if I can catch them. I need some ideas on how to catch them.

The govt. will not provide any assistance.

If the ducks come out of the water at night. Find out where they bed down. And catch them at night. With chickens, if you shine the light in their eyes they cant see you coming. Maybe it is the same for ducks? Good luck!

Last edited:
or if you could get close enough to them you could use a bit of wire folded at the end to snag there leg which is how my mother used to catch her chickens. till i told her its easier to powder them at nite when they are sleeping & just grab them off the perch.

Quote:
HOLY CRAP what was THAT?! That did NOT look fun for those birds! Of course the alternative, getting shot by hunters, is worse but that thing was just
ep.gif

Jesus
ep.gif
That thing might get you some ducks but you may have to put all their butts back in place after you get them home!!! I almost jumped just watching it, I couldnt imagine getting caught with it!

Maybe you can get some friends to help you net them at night with a large fishing net, like they use in rivers. you could even just use a really large (black) sheet, rig it up to poles on either end so it's easier to maneuver(sp?) & you can walk along and drop it on the sleeping ducks. I really don't know how olse you would be able to get them, especially if they sleep on the water.

thankfully the only time i rescued Muscovies they were quite friendly and I just picked them up.

Last edited:
Quote:
doesn't work on ducks, but I have had luck with my ducks heading towards the light when I shine it into a place i can corner them and walk slowly towards them with arms outstretched to sort of herd them in that direction. I'm not sure if the muscovies would try to fly away at night but it may work if you can push them to a spot they will be trapped in if they stay on foot. Maybe if you made something that would also outstretch further than your arms, like a 2x4 with a sheet attached, it might help herd them especially with a few people doing it??
idunno.gif

Quote:
Oh my goodness that was fast! At our lake, if they think you have a net, they will get away. But, that thing doesn't look like a net, at first, and it was so fast! It caught a lot of birds, too.

Use a swim in trap. Like this: http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBl/Images/PreHun2.jpg

We
use them all the time to catch wild ducks for banding.
It is just a roll of small grid fencing staked into the mud.
Cover the top with bird netting (the kind you cover gardens and orchard trees with from Home Depot.)
The "door" to the trap is made by shaping a funnel of fencing under the water.
Bait with a line of corn outside the trap leading through the funnel.
You can float a piece of wood in there so the ducks have somewhere to climb out of the water at night.

Bait in the afternoon, check first thing in the morning.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom