Please help! 2 week old chick has impacted crop! **UPDATE**

KatieV

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
I'm new to chickens and just got my first set of chicks two weeks ago! My Light Brahma, Sibbe, has an impacted crop and I'm trying to make it go down. Her crop is not hard, but staying full and she has no energy, won't sit/lay down, and just stands there.
sad.png
It feels like it is chick starter in there and I can move it around like a sand bag. Here are my questions:

How much olive oil should I be giving her? How often?
While massaging her crop, should I be trying to make it go anyplace? Like, up/down? How long should I spend doing this today?
Can I give her water with a dropper as well?
Anything else I can do?

I've been putting apple cider vineager in the chicks water for about a week
I've seen her poop, very little amounts, in the last 24 hours. Poop is gooey/watery, white. No blood.
They eat medicated chick starter, have not had any treats recently.
I did take them outside yesterday for the first time, but only for about 8-10 mins. I noticed something a little off before going outside.
How long do I have? She's my favorite.

***UPDATE***
Sibbe died a few min. ago. ??? I am stunned that she could go from being fine to dead in 24hours. It seemed like she was starting to have some of the stuff in her crop come up and choked and died.
hit.gif
I am so sad and feel like there is something more I should have been able to do. My 7 chicks (now 6) are just two weeks and I did notice Sibbe was half the size of all the rest. So maybe a failure to thrive and impaction?

Last edited:
I have a hen that has impacted crop the size of a softball. You should do a search and type in impacted crop in the Emergencies/Illnesses section and there are literally tons of information. That is what I did and I got all the answers to my questions.

To make sure that this really is an impacted crop, you should withdraw food overnight and then check to see that the crop has not gone down.

When massaging, you want the food to go down. But if it is impacted, and you have only been feeding chick starter, then it is likely that she picked up something outside that is blocking the passage way. I would be feeling around at the bottom of the crop for what might be blocking things up - and trying to adjust that. There is a "tube" that connects the crop and the gizzard, and that is where the food needs to go.

I do not know amounts of olive oil. Some people don't recommend using it necessarily.

I think i would be more concerned that she is drinking plenty of water to dissolve the starter so it will go down.

Whoa! Are you sure it's impacted? It's normal for chicks to have large crops, especially at the end of the day. They look like one half of Dolly Parton, if you know what I mean.

Do you have them on pine shavings? I suppose it's possible she gobbled too many shavings.

I am nearly sure that it is impacted - it has not gone down since late yesterday afternoon and she has not eaten. I have put her in another box with water only, so I can make sure she's not eating more and I can see how her poop is. Also, she is very lethargic and not moving too well. She just stands in once spot, slightly wobbly, with her eyes closed. She will NOT sit or lay down. Can it be something else?

I see that you have given them treats, although not recently. What kind of treats? Did you give them grit when you gave them the treats? They don't need grit for starter, however they do for most snacks/treats. I hope she will be OK.

Good Luck!

Twice I have given them mashed up hard boiled egg with water - but not for nearly a week. She seems to be pooping more, but it is still not large amounts and looks sticky and white. Her crop is still full - I hope she makes it!
fl.gif

Is it possible for you to take her to a chicken vet? A chick this young can't go for that long without eating if there really is a blockage in her crop.

Could she have eaten some bedding? It couldn't be from hard boiled egg or even chick starter I don't think. If her poop only has the white part, that means food is not going through her digestive system (the white part is the just the urine portion).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom