Please Help!! 3 Month Old Polish Chicken Lethargic. Could This Be Coccidiosis?

HappyChicken2244

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
Hello everyone, this morning when I went to let out my chickens one of my young three-month-old Polish hens was lethargic, struggling/stumbling to walk, struggling to keep her head raised up, and refusing to eat or drink. Her tail is kinda in a hunched-over tuck position. She is still making noise but she is also puffing up her feathers. I did not see any physical injuries, mites, or nasal discharge/sneezing. Her crop is empty. She is now in the house in a quarantined area. I offered her some scrambled eggs but she refused them. I did notice that for the last week, that some of the rest of my flock (25 chickens) has had some looser stools but no blood in them. Everyone else is acting fine. I know Coccidiosis is a possibility so I just went and got liquid Corrid. I put 2 teaspoons in a gallon for my other chickens and gave my sick Polish 0.1 ml of straight Corrid with a syringe. I am still new to chicken keeping and I am wondering if there is anything else I need to be doing. Also, could this possibly be something else? I don’t think she would be egg-bound because she isn’t old enough to start laying yet. None of my chickens have ever been dewormed but I did not see any physical worms in their stool. Should I also deworm while treating with Corrid? I also have two geese in a separate area. Should I treat them with Corrid too as a precaution? Any advice/ help is greatly appreciated!!
DBFCF955-D7EC-4273-BC97-0879881F8E23.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got a hen with the most of the same symptoms 😞 I’m not sure what it is. Good luck to you and your hen 🙏 hoping we both get some answers soon.

I well could be a coccidiosis infection, so I would mix some Corid 1/2 tsp of the liquid in a quart of water, and get her drinking that for 5-7 days. You can continue to give her the extra undiluted drench in addition. But she needs fluids too. If she ever seems hungry, some of the treated water can be sprinkled on a small amount of her chicken feed. Let us know how she gets along.

I well could be a coccidiosis infection, so I would mix some Corid 1/2 tsp of the liquid in a quart of water, and get her drinking that for 5-7 days. You can continue to give her the extra undiluted drench in addition. But she needs fluids too. If she ever seems hungry, some of the treated water can be sprinkled on a small amount of her chicken feed. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you so much for the advice! I will keep everyone updated!

Back
Top Bottom