Please help, 5mth old pullet going down fast!

ToniaM

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
I have a 5mth old pullet that 2 days ago seemed fine. Yesterday evening I noticed she was laying in a corner in the yard. I threw some sunflower seeds and she didn’t come. She’s not one I have ever been able to pick up (hatched by a broody) but I tried to pick her up and she didn’t budge until the last second. Her crop did seem very large. Last night she did get on a roost and too far for me to reach.

When I let them out of the run this morning she was laying in a nesting box although she’s hasn’t layed her first egg yet. That’s when I could pick her up (bingo). Brought her inside, checked her for mites, lice, wounds, found nothing. What I’m assuming is her neck bone is curled outwards but when I raise her head/neck up straight it straightens out She didn’t even have strength to fight me at all.

I have her in the bathroom and she’s laying on her side. As photo shows her comb is pale although she has never truly reddened up yet.

Oh, yesterday evening I did see her drink after she got away from me. Then pooped white water. I have save-a-chick electrolyte I can put in water. Other than that what can I do? Any ideas are so much appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• 582FC8DB-92E5-4F4C-9E4B-90555607973F.jpeg
    582FC8DB-92E5-4F4C-9E4B-90555607973F.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 37F7D899-1F87-415E-83BD-CD46D3A75783.jpeg
    37F7D899-1F87-415E-83BD-CD46D3A75783.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 4
I have a 5mth old pullet that 2 days ago seemed fine. Yesterday evening I noticed she was laying in a corner in the yard. I threw some sunflower seeds and she didn’t come. She’s not one I have ever been able to pick up (hatched by a broody) but I tried to pick her up and she didn’t budge until the last second. Her crop did seem very large. Last night she did get on a roost and too far for me to reach.

When I let them out of the run this morning she was laying in a nesting box although she’s hasn’t layed her first egg yet. That’s when I could pick her up (bingo). Brought her inside, checked her for mites, lice, wounds, found nothing. What I’m assuming is her neck bone is curled outwards but when I raise her head/neck up straight it straightens out She didn’t even have strength to fight me at all.

I have her in the bathroom and she’s laying on her side. As photo shows her comb is pale although she has never truly reddened up yet.

Oh, yesterday evening I did see her drink after she got away from me. Then pooped white water. I have save-a-chick electrolyte I can put in water. Other than that what can I do? Any ideas are so much appreciated. TIA
Sorry forgot to say that when I checked around her vent it was pulsating. Is she possibly egg bound? I have calcium citrate D3 but don’t want to assume she needs it.

Sorry forgot to say that when I checked around her vent it was pulsating. Is she possibly egg bound? I have calcium citrate D3 but don’t want to assume she needs it.
Check for an egg first. She doesn't even look close to laying yet.

Vitamin therapy may help if she does have a vitamin deficiency, or possible neurological issue due to vitamin deficiency, or head injury ect.

How long have you had this bird and when was the last/most recent time you brought any bird home?

Check for an egg first. She doesn't even look close to laying yet.

Vitamin therapy may help if she does have a vitamin deficiency, or possible neurological issue due to vitamin deficiency, or head injury ect.
I have never internally checked for an egg. Did the glove, oil and tried. I only got Mayne an inch in was scared I would hurt her. Googled some on how to do it. Do I need to go deeper?

I have never internally checked for an egg. Did the glove, oil and tried. I only got Mayne an inch in was scared I would hurt her. Googled some on how to do it. Do I need to go deeper?
You can go as far as your second knuckle on your finger.

But usually if there's an egg right there you can feel it right at the vent, or one knuckle deep.

How long have you had this bird and when was the last/most recent time you brought any bird home?
My broody hen hatched her. Her sister is laying. And I don’t have any new birds. She is the only one at this point showing any signs of anything wrong. But I know they are good at hiding some illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom