Please help a first-timer ...

Nana2KJS

Chicks-n-Ahs
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
SE Kansas
Okay this has probably been discussed to death, so show me the links, give me some opinions, etc.

We are pretty new to this whole byc thing, but have enjoyed every minute of our little backyard flock. Now we are thinking about trying to hatch a few, for a couple reasons.

1) Grandsons - my daughter is homeschooling them and I told her perhaps we could try to hatch a few for "educational" purposes.
2) I would like to add a couple welsummers to the 4 BO's we have now.

We only have room for a couple more, and I have 2 or 3 people who will take the extras off our hands, so we are thinking small, here.

I was looking a the little Brinsea mini-advanced. Is it worth the money? We can't handle anything much bigger. I understand it can be very addictive, but my yard is small, we just can't do it.

Pros and cons everyone. I know you're good at that. PLEASE don't tell me to build our own ... just flat won't happen.

Thanks!! I'll check in after work!

try renting one or maybe someone can lend you one, just ask. They could only say no. Or if you just got the money to spend go for it!!
thumbsup.gif

Go for it !
ya.gif

I have never hatched any from an incubator and that is my goal for this year ...I am getting a 2nd hand one from my local "chicken mentor"(hold 48 and is styrafoam )... because she has went to the large LARGE incubator....all I have to do is get a new thermostat ..and a couple other things ..she'll guide me through the steps and I am sure people on here will help ....I'd say go for it ... I wish I could help you ...I have 4 welsummers and I love them the eggs are beautiful dark terracotta brown ...
Another way i have hatched out eggs is with my broody little bantam hen....I have bought some fertile ameracana eggs/and others and placed them under her and she did all the work for me ...this year she hatched out eggs from my girls and Rooster
Well good Luck ....

Looking back, if it were me, I would try to borrow an incubator. First of all, its alot cheaper. Secondly, once you buy one, you have no excuse not to buy those hatching eggs that you just can't pass up. Last year I had a styrofoam bator full. But then some gree and blue eggs came up that I couln't resist. So I bought a second bator and turner. Now I feel like I need to use them to rationalize buying the second setup. If you insist on buying one, chek out ebay.

If you every start hatching you will be completely addicted! I started with a small foam incubator and now i have 3 large incubators all in the course of a year. Dont do it! I would see if you have a broody hen a let them do the work. But since you want it for educational purposes then better start with a small one and start making plans now on who and where to sell the chicks that you hatch, cause i really doubt the hatching will stop after the first time!

Not really a question of whether or not to spend the money, it's more about which one to spend the money on. Bad habit I supppose, but I can't seem to quit spending the money on my kids! I've always said that's why I work as hard as I do.

do some research here. Look up whats the best bator. or something along the lines, and buy the one that is going to best suite your needs. oh, and please put us on your spending list. thanks
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom