Please Help - Aggressive Hen

I think she is reestablishing her high position in the pecking order after being separated for 3 days.

How much space do you have in coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Snake Oil.

They get access to my whole yard during the day when I'm home. We live on about 1/4 acre. So, it's a decent yard. Should be big enough for 4 chickens.. We have 2 roosts inside their coop (each roost is about 24 in). This time, she hasn't been separated from them, but she's still acting frantic and being aggressive. It's almost as if she's spooked/scared. The only time I can get her to kind of calm down is if I hold her. But, I'm trying not to do that every time. :(

Hmm, that is a tricky one. Maybe offer her electrolytes in her water, just in case. OD you have security cameras? Have you lost any members of the flock recently, or given anyway? Does she eat the feathers after she pulls them out? Is your feed at least 20% protein. If it isn't, maybe she is eating the plucked feathers for extra protein? I honestly have no idea.

Hmm, that is a tricky one. Maybe offer her electrolytes in her water, just in case. OD you have security cameras? Have you lost any members of the flock recently, or given anyway? Does she eat the feathers after she pulls them out? Is your feed at least 20% protein. If it isn't, maybe she is eating the plucked feathers for extra protein? I honestly have no idea.
Your question about losing a flock member got me thinking. I don't recall exactly when she started exhibiting this aggressive behavior, but we did lose a hen, Ethel, over the summer (I bought them as day old chicks together). Ethel was ill for a very long time and we finally had to put her down in July. Maybe it's in my head, but I think Harriet might just be sad. We lost Ethel in the summer, got 2 new babies, and moved. I had been trying not to coddle Harriet because he was molting, but she jumped on my lap today and I held her for a long time. She went to roost with the others just fine tonight. I think by me not giving her attention, I was making it worse, not better. I think she may just need some extra lovin' while she adjusts to her new sisters and yard.

Your question about losing a flock member got me thinking. I don't recall exactly when she started exhibiting this aggressive behavior, but we did lose a hen, Ethel, over the summer (I bought them as day old chicks together). Ethel was ill for a very long time and we finally had to put her down in July. Maybe it's in my head, but I think Harriet might just be sad. We lost Ethel in the summer, got 2 new babies, and moved. I had been trying not to coddle Harriet because he was molting, but she jumped on my lap today and I held her for a long time. She went to roost with the others just fine tonight. I think by me not giving her attention, I was making it worse, not better. I think she may just need some extra lovin' while she adjusts to her new sisters and yard.
Who long after you lost Ethel, and moved did Herriet start acting this way? That could defiantly be it, along with the stress of moving. Maybe try some brodum busters, get her brain focused on other things, and I don't know if this will help, but nesting herbs with lavender, may be nice for her, or just some Lavender essential oils or Lavender in a bag to hang in the coop might help calm her down. Take the time to hang out with her, give her some extra love and tell her its okay. Maybe try throwing her extra grass clippings, weeds, and heathy treats. Just give her a little extra of the time being! Hope it helps! I can offer an article on Boredom busters to if you want to try that! Hope she gets better! Avery

Back
Top Bottom