Please help, all efforts have failed

cluckcluckgirl

Queen of the Coop
11 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Tending to my chickens
I have a 3 week old chick that still has spraddle leg. Ever since she developed symptoms I've been doing physical therapy multiple times daily and tried to put string around her legs (which she gets out of every time) but there are no signs of improvement. I love this chick and want it to be able to walk easily, so does anyone have any advice?

Try medical tape instead of string, it'll be a lot harder to come off. Gradually bring the legs closer together over the course of a week or so, since she's a bit older. Make sure he substrate she's on isn't slippery (like newspaper-way too slippery). Hope she gets well soon!!

If the chick is still very small it might help to cut the tape in half length wise. "Wrap" it around one leg and then another - it's better to put some tape on the sticky part lest the baby get stuck or get bedding stuck on it.

I read something on mypetchicken.com that has me questioning yet again. Here's the paragraph:
Other conditions, illnesses and/or diseases with similar signs:
Other disorders of the leg can be confused with spraddle leg (twisted tendon [perosis] or twisted leg [varus deformation] for example). When a chick is splay-legged, there is nothing wrong with the legs per se; the legs have a full range of motion and are not paralyzed or stuck in any one position. It’s just that the muscles are not strong enough to keep the legs in walking/standing position. If the chick’s legs are twisted, bent, swollen, or stuck in one position, it is likely to be something other than splay leg.

Here's the link:
http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Spraddle-leg-overview-H253.aspx

Her leg is out at a 90 degree angle away from her body and it seems to be twisted at the joint at the bottom of the drumstick. Is this something else as MyPetChicken suggests?

I am not familiar with this but I was thinking a picture might help those who are. Is there any way you can post a picture so others can see what is going on?

Best of luck to you and your little baby! It is impossible not to love these little things!

Take care!

Just use a bandaid split down the middle long ways. Wrap the sticky end around the legs. They cannot walk at first but soon learn to stand then slowly walk with it on. Takes a day or two then remove. Repeat if needed.

Just did this to a serama chick but had to use child bandaid. Worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom