Please help! Ameraucana?? Roo or Hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PelfreyCS, Oct 11, 2012.

1. PelfreyCS

PelfreyCS New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Need help fast! I got this 'pullet' from a very nice lady who's as new to this as I am. She had very friendly chickens and I can tell she pampered them. She got a little obsessed with the hobby off the bat, and now has a dog that's getting aggressive so she needs to downsize. I got four different breeds, the others are clearly pullets and this one is supposed to be an Ameraucana. Once I got home and actually looked at this one I started thinking that s/he's a rooster, by looks only. All my other novice friends think it's a roo, as well. Five-ish months old; Doesn't crow; Very submissive, no dominance and scared of the other chickens; No spurs at all; Not laying eggs (but hardly any one is laying right now, understandably, due to the stress of all the new chickens.) So I spoke with the nice lady about it. She says she bought them as pullets, and it looks exactly like the other 3 she bought, which are supposed to be hens too. She's sold two of the siblings to the someone else with alleged chicken experience who intended to buy females and also haven't called back to say anything about it. She says I can bring it back if there's an error because she never intended to trick me, which I think is really nice of her! So basically, I need to know ASAP if this is a rooster because I can't have a 2nd rooster and because I have a chance to return it to the good home. Finding good homes for Roo's is quite hard and I don't want to deal with that again!!!! Pleeease help! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Silkie Nut

Silkie Nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Florida
    Roo definetley

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    That is a boy! Good looking one too

4. PelfreyCS

PelfreyCS New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you Silkie Nut and Turtle Power Trav! So are you a hundred percent sure or is there a slight slight chance this is a hen? If so, I'll trust your judgment and return him! Thanks again!

5. puglady

puglady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    NH
    100% ROO

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is an easter egger cockerel.

How to tell........the darker red shading on the wings is usually the earliest givaway. A red hen will have more even coloring, roosters have darker shading.
    He's getting hackle feathers. Those are the longer, pointy feathers on his neck. You can see them well in that last pic.
    Sickle feathers in the tail. That is the nice arched curving feathers on the tail. Hens don't have those.
    Saddle feathers........he doesn't have a ton yet, but he will. These are like the hackle feathers but in front of the tail.......long, drapey pointed feathers that hang down and make them so pretty.

I'm glad your seller will do right by you!

7. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Most definitely and EE roo.

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    EE cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by