Please Help An Idiot Out [My chicken run is a D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R (and my husband hates it)]

WRVgirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Zone 8a
So, I need some empathy and some ideas please!

I constructed a makeshift "pen" [and I use the word pen lightly] It cost me over $200 and it's a wobbly, hot mess of 2x2x8s and plastic trellis netting. The door doesn't lock unless you lift it off the ground and lock it closed again.

I guess I should give myself some credit as I made and constructed it myself with a pull saw and my little power drill, and considering I've never built anything in my life maybe it's not so bad.

Here's a picture

My husband [who was deployed while I was building the pen] came home and said it was an eyesore, and that he wanted me to throw it away. I don't have the heart to throw it away because not only did it cost quite a bit of money, but I worked REALLY hard on it.

I would really appreciate input on how to make it better looking, and more sturdy. Right now, it's wood frames with netting on the inside, none of it is underground. I screwed the panels together and reinforced the corners with the metal stakes.

I have 2 Orphingtons and a Cochin...and am about to get 5 or 6 SLW and a Roo. What I need to do if find a way to divide the pen into two sections so I can be sure that the SLW roo is only with the SLW pullets [they're show quality and I plan on selling hatching eggs]

I can't find any good, simple, cheap plans online.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to building things, so the less complicated the better.

Thank you so much!!! Any and everything is greatly appreciated.

Aww, it doesn't look that bad! I assume your chickens are only in the run during the day, so as long as it's sturdy enough to keep them in, it doesn't have to keep predators out.

As far as looks go, perhaps if you can level out the section to the right of the gate, and make the gate match up with the left side, it would look better.

Also, what if you painted the wood a dark color, so it would blend in a bit more? Then it might not look like an eyesore to your husband.

I think you should be proud of your work!

You could put some cross bracing in to hold the frame more sturdy. The door is probably unstable because there isn't any bracing keeping the jams from moving in from the weight. I would put a 2X4 straight across in the middle between each section to keep your existing vertical 2X4's from moving. Then you could go and cut 2X4's to go vertical in the middle ..one sitting on top of your new 2X4 brace and under your existing top frame and another 2X4 to go under the new 2X4 brace sitting on top of your ground level 2X4. not sure if i explained it clearly enough.....

not sure from your pic....but actually it looks like 2X2's instead of 2X4's you could use 2X2's as well to brace. 2X4's are better to build with because you have more space to put in multiple screws for stability

not sure from your pic....but actually it looks like 2X2's instead of 2X4's you could use 2X2's as well to brace. 2X4's are better to build with because you have more space to put in multiple screws for stability
They are 2x2x8

They are 2x2x8
Does what I said about the bracing make sense? Each 2X8 foot section you made would be divided into 4 boxes. You could also do some landscaping, plant some shrubs and a few flowers in the front to blend it in better with the yard. I agree with the others it isn't bad.

After you add the bracing you could also add some corner bracing like you did on the right side with the board on the top. but brace it on the inside on each corner on the top and bottom. I don't think I would do the middle because the chickens might use it to get out. Cut the board down small maybe 2 foot long with a 45 degree angle on each end and screw it into the corner.

edited to add------ treated wood also has a BAD habit of warping and twisting, if it is "wet" when you build and you expose it to the sun before it is dry it will bend, twist, curve...really bad! so there could be some that going on as well. I learned that the hard way!

Last edited:
After you add the bracing you could also add some corner bracing like you did on the right side with the board on the top. but brace it on the inside on each corner on the top and bottom. I don't think I would dothe middle because the chickens might use it to get out. Cut the board down small maybe 2 foot long with a 45 degree angle on each end and screw it into the corner.

That brace is on all 4 sides of the fence. I've got 4 of the metal stakes on each corner and that really helped get the fence upright. I'm starting to wonder if it might just be easier to buy some more of those stakes and just start over without the wood? Just use the metal stakes and make a swing door for it?

I've got no idea :( This is much more frustrating than I thought that it was going to be.

So, I need some empathy and some ideas please!

I constructed a makeshift "pen" [and I use the word pen lightly] It cost me over $200 and it's a wobbly, hot mess of 2x2x8s and plastic trellis netting. The door doesn't lock unless you lift it off the ground and lock it closed again.

I guess I should give myself some credit as I made and constructed it myself with a pull saw and my little power drill, and considering I've never built anything in my life maybe it's not so bad.

Here's a picture

My husband [who was deployed while I was building the pen] came home and said it was an eyesore, and that he wanted me to throw it away. I don't have the heart to throw it away because not only did it cost quite a bit of money, but I worked REALLY hard on it.

I would really appreciate input on how to make it better looking, and more sturdy. Right now, it's wood frames with netting on the inside, none of it is underground. I screwed the panels together and reinforced the corners with the metal stakes.

I have 2 Orphingtons and a Cochin...and am about to get 5 or 6 SLW and a Roo. What I need to do if find a way to divide the pen into two sections so I can be sure that the SLW roo is only with the SLW pullets [they're show quality and I plan on selling hatching eggs]

I can't find any good, simple, cheap plans online.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to building things, so the less complicated the better.

Thank you so much!!! Any and everything is greatly appreciated.
I dont think it looks bad at all, I think it looks really good......if I could add something, I would probably get some mesh to cover the top, and also, Predator proof the bottom, since you havnt gone down deep into the grass, I would invest in fox proof mesh that stops predators digging under to get to you flock-- think you did pretty good there tho ....

Back
Top Bottom