PLEASE HELP ASAP! ROUEN DUCK

Pics

AshleyNicole06

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 19, 2017
Iowa
HELP!
Something attacked my duck! (Could of been another duck, I dont know!) He has sores on the back of neck and is bleeding. He is also holding his head funny. He isnt moving his head or neck.
He is walking a bit, but mostly sitting.
Not eating (even mealworms, his fav) or drinking.
His poop is white.

Attachments

• 20200810_180223.jpg
    20200810_180223.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200810_180209.jpg
    20200810_180209.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200810_180155.jpg
    20200810_180155.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200810_180142.jpg
    20200810_180142.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 43
I don't know how to help but I feel for you :( I'm so sorry your duck is hurt. When did it happen? How long has he not been eating? I would probably isolate him from the other ducks for a bit if you can't rule out that another duck did it, and give him space from them to heal. I hope someone else will comment soon with more advice

I don't know how to help but I feel for you :( I'm so sorry your duck is hurt. When did it happen? How long has he not been eating? I would probably isolate him from the other ducks for a bit if you can't rule out that another duck did it, and give him space from them to heal. I hope someone else will comment soon with more advice
It happened about 5 this afternoon, its 11:30pm now, so not THAT Long ago. He is in a kennel by himself. He hasn't ate or drank since then. And his head and neck area still look like the pictures!

i think he may have got attacked by your other drake(s). can you bring him inside the house? so you can keep an eye on him better and make sure he is comfortable, eating, and drinking.
He is by himself in a kennel, near the house away from the others. I have been checking on him. He is definitely not eating or drinking still.

Have you tried cleaning the wound a bit to get a better look at it? Does he cooperate with being handled? I'd try to gently clean the area with a wash cloth and get a good look at how much damage is there.

Looking at the pictures again, it looks like he's wounded on both sides of his head but not directly at the back of his head. I'm inclined to think something tried to grab him by the head, perhaps a hawk or something, rather than another duck attacking him, but I could be wrong. I'd still keep him in the kennel like you're doing anyway, to prevent further injury.

I just googled and it looks like adult ducks can survive a while without food but it's important that he starts drinking soon. I'm not sure how to best encourage that

Back
Top Bottom