PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brookiesflock, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    My little silkie hen was sitting on her eggs and was plucked right off by a stupid dog she was sitting for 6 days and never got off of them in till this happened, can I save the eggs?? I have no incubator I do have a heat lamp?? is it a loss, I'm soooo mad and sad she was a great little girl just to be taking right from her nest I really would like to save them just for her sake =(

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How long have the eggs been without heat?

3. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    I want to say 4 hours and its been a nice day but getting dark now, I have a heat lamp will that help

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You might want to post this in the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" forum, you'll get more responses. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you don't have an incubator or a broody hen then I would not try to get them to hatch, since they must be carefully turned and kept humid.

Yes, there is dry incubation (I do that myself for part of the incubation process), but near the end you will have to have humidity up or the chick can be shrink-wrapped inside the shell in the membrane.

You can run out and buy and incubator...the eggs may be a little late in hatching but there is still a chance they can survive.

Some here on BYC have built their own incubators but I have no idea how long it takes...search homemade incubator if you wish.

6. ChickensAreSweet

If you can keep them warm and turned every so often through the night you can decide tomorrow about the incubator.

They should be kept at around 99.5 degrees.

7. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    ok I will do that and get one tomorrow turn every 2hrs or so?

8. ChickensAreSweet

On my incubator I have it set to turn every hour when I am incubating, but when you think about the hen who sets...she probably noses those eggs much less often than that. I don't know what to tell you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by