1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brookiesflock, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    My little silkie hen was sitting on her eggs and was plucked right off by a stupid dog she was sitting for 6 days and never got off of them in till this happened, can I save the eggs?? I have no incubator I do have a heat lamp?? is it a loss, I'm soooo mad and sad she was a great little girl just to be taking right from her nest I really would like to save them just for her sake =(

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    How cold did they get? Did you catch it quick? Eggs do better with cold than heat - especially early on.

Put them under a heat lamp & go get an incubator. You may be able to save them if it was not too long.

3. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    it was only for a short time and it was a nice warm day so only about 4 to 5 hrs in temps about 65 outside maybe a bit warmer in the nesting box, I have them in the house under a heat lamp I will turn them Thur the night and get a proper set up tomorrow I hope they have on at Tractor Supply, will that be OK not to long with out mom, I'm so upset that this happened I'm determined to do everything to save her chicks, she was a wonderful hen =( dam people dont know how to close gates Rrrrrrrrr

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    x2

also you can post on CRAIGSLIST to see if anyone has an incubator or broody you can slip them into...

sorry about your hen :(

I have heard of people using an electric skillet as an incubator...if they go down to 100 degrees. Keep lid cracked for ventilation and keep a dish of water in for humidity.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    You could also stuff some in your bra overnight

6. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    you mean put the eggs in my bra and sleep with them?? because I will lol, no I would be to afraid I would brake them

7. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I hope all works out for your babies.

8. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Your body heat will work well. :) I do hope you can save them. I'm so sorry about your hen.

9. marneypoo

marneypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Where are you located? If you are close I would either hatch them for you or loan you an incubator. I am in Winchester, KY. Martha

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    hey maybe i will try that some day......[​IMG]

but if near southern Ohio i have a few incubators, i could let u use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by