PLEASE HELP! Baby chick with wry neck?

ildikoki

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Hello,

After researching the archives I realized my baby chcik prob has wry neck syndrome.

She was born about 10 days ago - mom left her and I had to bring her in the house under a heatlamp bc she was unresponsive and cold. she perked up after couple of hours but her neck was weird. I looked everywhere and started her on vit e and scrambled eggs for selenium, after I found the site. She instantly looked better and was eating, drinking on her own. After about 5 days in the house I decided to put her out with mom. Checked on them several times during the day, even looked under her around 10PM to see if she was ok. everything looked good. In the morning I could not see Stinky (baby) under mom. Found her in a pile of hay again, wet, cold and very weak. Brought her back in, and since then her neck tilt is very severe....She falls backwords most of time because her head can go all the way back esp when she is drinking.
Took her to the vet this morning after seeing her so miserable, I thought if she says she is in pain we will put her down
sad.png

At the vet she was not so bad so she decided to put her on oral antibio (add it to her drinking water) and see how she does. She was ok during the day, still very one sided and falling all the time......Tonight she looks really bad but still eats and drinks on her own. Her vent is very pasty too, looks like its protruding as well so I have been wiping it several times a day....
What else I can do?? I do not want her to suffer.

Thanks a lot!!!

Oh I also tried to make a brace but she was not doing well with it, was very upset so I took it off. thx!!

Earlier this year I had a chick with wry neck. I just kept setting her back up on her legs and making sure she got food and water. I thought she would die. After a few days, I noticed that she had begun to straighten up! Eventually her head and neck moved back to their normal place. I understand that recovery is really rare, but I gave her the chance, and it worked this time. If you feel that Stinky is suffering unnecessarily, you may have to make a very tough decision. /comfort
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom