Please Help! Bantam with leg injury... with pics

BonnieJean

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Connecticut
I have a 12 week old Mille Fleur D'Uccle with some type of leg injury. I'm not sure what happened, but she was free ranging most of the day, and at night I noticed she was limping badly and not really using one of her legs (and she has a broken feather on the hurt foot, but it isn't bleeding or anything). That was three days ago and I've been doing searches to try and help her, but now I'm getting worried. She is unable to fly and is using one of her wings to balance herself when she starts to tip over. She tries to keep up with the others, but usually just follows them and then lays down while they free range. She moves with them when they go to a new area, but then lays down all fluffed up. She seems to be walking more on the backs of her legs than her feet like the others (last pic). Her poop is normal, and she's eating and drinking, but seems weak and I feel so badly for her. I added electrolytes to her water, but don't know what else to do. She doesn't seem to be getting any better. I attached some pictures- maybe they can help?? Thank you so much!!

53770_dsc00683.jpg

53770_dsc00681.jpg

53770_dsc00689.jpg

53770_dsc00691.jpg

the injured one is the one on the right... she sure does try to keep up
sad.png

Last edited:
I am dealing with the same thing in a 17w BA pullet.I am pretty sure she just sprained her leg somehow being a nutcase. I hope your pretty bird is ok,lovely coloring!!!!

Thanks for your replies! It's nice to know that there's such a supportive community out there, and even if you can't help, just that you're there and read the post.
She is such a sweet girl, and I do wonder if it's a sprain. If it is, can I do anything to help her out? Should I give her some pain relievers or is it better to just let it heal on its own? I was watching her try to walk this afternoon and it seems as if she tries to stand on it and it kind of collapses and can't support her. She scoots along, but it's so sad to watch her try to keep up, and even worse when she tries to get on the roosts at night and can't
sad.png
I wish I know what to do to help her...

I have a Golden Duck wing bantam hen that was attacked by the rest of the chickens. They pecked the skin off her head and tried to kill her
. I saw her lying on her back in the chicken lot...all most dead. I got her and brought her in side . then I ran warm water over her and warmed her up. She slowly came around but now she can not use her legs , her abdomun inflates and deflates rapidly
Is there any hope for my little hen?

I have a 12 week old Mille Fleur D'Uccle with some type of leg injury. I'm not sure what happened, but she was free ranging most of the day, and at night I noticed she was limping badly and not really using one of her legs (and she has a broken feather on the hurt foot, but it isn't bleeding or anything). That was three days ago and I've been doing searches to try and help her, but now I'm getting worried. She is unable to fly and is using one of her wings to balance herself when she starts to tip over. She tries to keep up with the others, but usually just follows them and then lays down while they free range. She moves with them when they go to a new area, but then lays down all fluffed up. She seems to be walking more on the backs of her legs than her feet like the others (last pic). Her poop is normal, and she's eating and drinking, but seems weak and I feel so badly for her. I added electrolytes to her water, but don't know what else to do. She doesn't seem to be getting any better. I attached some pictures- maybe they can help?? Thank you so much!!

53770_dsc00683.jpg

53770_dsc00681.jpg

53770_dsc00689.jpg

53770_dsc00691.jpg

the injured one is the one on the right... she sure does try to keep up
sad.png
My girl got attacked by dogs while living with her previous owner and I think she has the same thing. Please tell me if you find out how to heal it. I think mine has a broken or dislocated leg. I hope they both get better 🙏

Back
Top Bottom