PLEASE HELP!! Barn Swallows parenting!

Male barn swallows are terrific fathers. He will definitely care for the babies. We watched a pair on our porch last year that we named Fred and Ethel. They even had a second clutch that they raised. If you have a bug whacker turn it on and collect the bugs. Set them near the nest so daddy can gather food easily since he will be the one bearing the work load of gathering food. This year we have another pair that took over the nest (I couldn't knock it down).

Put Mom in a box lined with a towel, cover the box for her safety and comfort. I'd use a clothes basket upside down. Keep her in a warm quite place. Contact a wildlife rehabilitator to care for her. If she is badly injured and appears beyond help, put her down. If she was your hen, what would you do? Treat or cull?
The other swallows of the pair will care for the babies. The other swallows in the flock will assist in their care. Those babiesw will be covering your porch with poop in no time!! Good luck.

Ok, but the moma usually sleeps with the babies in the nest every night. The daddy of the nest doesnt do that, and the daddy isn't in the nest now, so will the get too cold tonight??

Its pretty warm here in the south.

Quote:
That will depend on their age and feathering. If they are VERY young, you might consider moving them to a nest with babies close to the same age. Wildlife rehabbers will also care for them if the father won't/can't.

Quote:
That will depend on their age and feathering. If they are VERY young, you might consider moving them to a nest with babies close to the same age. Wildlife rehabbers will also care for them if the father won't/can't.

Yes. they are very young. They don't even have their eyes open yet. Should I bring them into the house where it is warm until I can call the rehabber people tomorrow? and I can put them with their momma

only advice i have is DONT take the bird to the vet. Take her to a wildlife rehab centre thingy. I did work experience for a vet, and they had birds brought in almost daily, they put them down. Every single one. Even a beautiful little hawk with a broken leg, they just said 'oh we cant rehab it' and killed it.

If you can't find anywhere that will try and rehab the bird, do it yourself.

and good luck with the babies btw. You should look for a way to keep them warm without taking them out of the nest. Ever heard of a cold brooder?? Google it, its a brooder without a heat source, babies huddles together to keep themselves warm, you might be able to adapt it for the swallows if daddy isnt back by nightfall.

Quote:

Yes. they are very young. They don't even have their eyes open yet. Should I bring them into the house where it is warm until I can call the rehabber people tomorrow? and I can put them with their momma

I really don't know what would be best, but I wouldn't encumber the mother bird with them now; she's probably stressed enough now.

Has dad come back to feed the babies yet? If not, you will need to step in and feed them..i think. I'd use Kaytee bird handfeeding formula (its for any and all birds) ...but only if dad hasnt come back.. Good Luck!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
This happened at about 7 oclock today, and I havent seen the dady yet. Should I bring them in? and its 10 oclock now

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom