PLEASE HELP - Beak deformity and limping

Quote: What type of food/treats do you feed? What is her normal feed?

You mention that she may be suffering from malnutrition? I recommend that you give her a balanced poultry feed (chick starter, flock raiser or layer feed), oyster shell free choice and poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell. Hard boiled/scrambled eggs or tuna for extra protein and little amount of some fresh greens/veggies would be good.

If she has been picked, the other may be keeping her from food as well. This could be the cause of her decline. Nutrition and watching to see if she is drinking well will be helpful. Her limping can be from a number of things - sprains and injury are common. By keeping her separated, hopefully with some rest the limping will improve. Sprains can take several days to start to heal depending on how severe they are.

Keep us posted.

What type of food/treats do you feed?  What is her normal feed?

You mention that she may be suffering from malnutrition?  I recommend that you give her a balanced poultry feed (chick starter, flock raiser or layer feed), oyster shell free choice and poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell.  Hard boiled/scrambled eggs or tuna for extra protein and little amount of some fresh greens/veggies would be good.

If she has been picked, the other may be keeping her from food as well.  This could be the cause of her decline. Nutrition and watching to see if she is drinking well will be helpful.  Her limping can be from a number of things - sprains and injury are common.  By keeping her separated, hopefully with some rest the limping will improve.  Sprains can take several days to start to heal depending on how severe they are.

Keep us posted.

Her normal feed is normal chicken scratch with oyster shells but thank you for the names of those vitamins. I was thinking of putting her on a vitamin therapy to help build back her strength and her beak.

Thank you for the advice! I will see how long it will take for her limp to get better. For her beak I don't know how long that can take/to keep her separated :/

Last edited:
Quote: You don't feed a layer or flock raiser type feed? Only Scratch?

Look at your bag and ingredient of the scratch - usually it's not formulated as a complete feed - it's used as a treat. If scratch is the main source of nutrition, then you may want to consider getting some layer feed or a flock raiser feed. These are formulated complete.

Even if you get one of these feeds, IMHO she still needs those extra vitamins.

Can she eat/drink on her own- do you see her eating/drinking since she has been separated?

You don't feed a layer or flock raiser type feed?  Only Scratch?

Look at your bag and ingredient of the scratch - usually it's not formulated as a complete feed - it's used as a treat.  If scratch is the main source of nutrition, then you may want to consider getting some layer feed or a flock raiser feed.  These are formulated complete.

Even if you get one of these feeds, IMHO she still needs those extra vitamins.

Can she eat/drink on her own- do you see her eating/drinking since she has been separated?

Hm yeah I think it has everything it needs in there. I ask the people at the feed store and I think it's a bag that has everything in it already. I will check tomorrow.

And yes I saw her eating quite a bit when I had separated her and given her the meal worms and some feed

Quote: Glad she is eating!

Yes, please investigate the feed - some of us call things differently. "Scratch" to me is a mix of cracked grains (wheat, corn, oats, sunflower seeds, millet and various other seeds)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom