Hello!

This morning when I let my chickens out, I saw that one of them had their wing out and up, as if stretching or something.

After a few seconds, she wouldn’t lower her wing, so I gently pushed her wing down, and carefully put her longer wing feathers together, and back into place. When I did this, I felt what seemed like a feather/shaft being straightened or popped back into place.

My hen has been cleaning this wing, along with the rest of her body, like normal. I even felt the wing in question, and compared it to her other wing. I could find no differences or anything that would indicate a broken bone.

I also gently spread her wing out, and she didn’t act like it hurt.

However, she doesn’t seem as peppy and hungry as she usually does. She also has been walking, stopping in places for a bit. She did her usual feather cleaning, and reacts normally when I call her over for clover/feed/treats in my hand. She seems alright, just a bit quiet… Also, when she makes her chicken call, it’s almost a whisper or it’s very quiet.

She also might be holding this wing a bit higher than the other? I haven’t really noticed how she usually holds her wing, but I believe she is holding it a bit higher.

I gave her a bit of nutridrench to her just in case, and am going to give her some electrolytes soon.

Does she have a stiff wing?

I think she does, due to the fact that last night, she and over half of my flock slept together on one roosting bar (making it kinda squishy together). I have two bars, with plenty of room for everyone, however, I have 3 younger Pullets, and a young cockerel, who no one likes to sleep next to yet. 😅

I have been slowly working this out though!

Therefore, I think she might have slept with her wing up or something, and it’s stiff and sore from last night? And she is also somewhat tired or something from last night??

Also, please ignore her missing feathers, I am also working on that 😅
Thanks for everyone’s advice!

Attachments

• 93DCE07C-B9A2-44F0-A06D-4A28052FC9C3.jpeg
    93DCE07C-B9A2-44F0-A06D-4A28052FC9C3.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 76DA15D1-5818-4A83-AC8C-9FD143760D78.jpeg
    76DA15D1-5818-4A83-AC8C-9FD143760D78.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8F172648-AFCD-4138-9142-C1E35DA426A4.jpeg
    8F172648-AFCD-4138-9142-C1E35DA426A4.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 16
  • D90199E5-A2DE-4162-B6D2-11FDA63A1C33.jpeg
    D90199E5-A2DE-4162-B6D2-11FDA63A1C33.jpeg
    697.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
How is she now? I've never heard of stiff wing before, but that could be it, I guess. According to what you're saying, I think you ought to get more perches. And if they won't roost on the other perches, just take some off every night, and place them on those other perches. Overtime, they should perch on the other perches on their own. ;)

How is she now? I've never heard of stiff wing before, but that could be it, I guess. According to what you're saying, I think you ought to get more perches. And if they won't roost on the other perches, just take some off every night, and place them on those other perches. Overtime, they should perch on the other perches on their own. ;)
She’s totally fine now!
I’m assuming she was tired and sore from last night….
Also, every night I move my hens around, to try to teach them not to all, every hen, sleep together on the same roost!
Thanks for your reply, and have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom