Please help. Building a coop.

D100putz88

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Fluvanna county, Virginia
Hey. So I have 6 chicks that are 3 weeks old. I have a smaller coop that will work for now but I am building a coop for them. I am so confused about how big of a coop I need for 6 chickens. With that being said, I’d like to eventually go to 10-12 birds total in the future so I wanna build for the future. I am reading all these sites and some say 2 square foot per bird, then I read 3 square feet. Then 4 square feet. Super confused. The run is a decent size and they will free range which is 2.5 acres of mostly grass open land. About .75 acres hard wooded. So, how much space do I need per bird for the inside of the coop?

i am still on thé floor so it won’t be hard to switch out 2x4 to accommodate.
Thank you
Derek.

Four square feet is the great number. With free ranging or a large run it can be smaller. Where are you? Will they get snowed in at times? That's what would make free ranging not compensate for a smaller coop. Also, the coop will have to be large enough for one linear foot of roost per bird. Hope that helps.

:welcome and have fun.

Four square feet is the great number. With free ranging or a large run it can be smaller. Where are you? Will they get snowed in at times? That's what would make free ranging not compensate for a smaller coop. Also, the coop will have to be large enough for one linear foot of roost per bird. Hope that helps.

:welcome and have fun.
Hey thanks For the reply, I am in central va, we don’t get that much snow. Maybe 2 times in the winter which is not a lot compared to where I’m from in Maine lol. Anyways, I was thinking around 3 sqft per bird because they won’t be in the coop all the time. If I am wrong I can always go to 4 foot per bird. Ideally I’d like 10 birds which would put me at 40 square foot. Right now I have 6 which is 24 square feet per bird. That’s at 4 square feet per bird. What would you suggest with that information given?

Hey thanks For the reply, I am in central va, we don’t get that much snow. Maybe 2 times in the winter which is not a lot compared to where I’m from in Maine lol. Anyways, I was thinking around 3 sqft per bird because they won’t be in the coop all the time. If I am wrong I can always go to 4 foot per bird. Ideally I’d like 10 birds which would put me at 40 square foot. Right now I have 6 which is 24 square feet per bird. That’s at 4 square feet per bird. What would you suggest with that information given?
As big as you really can. 1. chicken math. 2. It would leave some room for separation--injured bird/new bird introductions. Plus nesting box area doesn't count toward square feet.

Welcome to BYC.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

These are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, but overcrowding is a major cause of behavioral problems and poor ventilation is a major source of health problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom