Please Help can thunderstorms kill chicks in eggs?

lollygag1

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
NSW Australia
I live in NSW Australia and have been told that thunder storms can kill baby chickens in the eggs before they hatch. Any truth to this?

Last edited:
Lollygag......first, let me welcome you to this wonderfull family here. You will find some of the BEST advice ever. Now, about the thunderstorm....I think thats an old wives tail. I dont think there is much truth to that. Not sure tho.

Gidday,
I have had this happen, though it may have been caused by something other than the storm, but alot of wise old chicken owners tell me this too!!
Just to be on the safe side, i have my nests up off the ground so they dont get the vibrations from the storms.
Im sure the people here get worse storms than we do or just as bad so maybe someone else can give us their views on this.
Whereabouts in Aust are you?
Im next to Canberra.

I can only tell you my experiences about that. I don't know of any scientific studies done on it.
Thunderstorms never bothered my chicken eggs, but I've never had a goose or duck egg hatch while in the incubator during a thunderstorm. (And the electricity did not go out either)

Never had any problems with goose or duck eggs when there was not a storm.

This is just my experience, could just be coincidence...or not.

Jean

Thank you everyone, so how long then will the chook sit on the eggs if they are no good. How do you know when to get rid of the eggs? Bantymum, nice to hear from a fellow Australian. Know anywhere to get silkies?

Gidday again, how long has she been sitting?
She may sit for a few days after hatch due date, however if she thinks that they arent viable she will get off them or kick them out.
Was her nest on the ground? how severe was the storm, how close was the lightning? did you listen for how many seconds between the lightning and the thunderclaps? this can be the key as to how much vibration was in the ground.
I have silkies, but im still growing my mums to be!!
There are a few silkie breeders around, try looking at (allclassifieds.com) free ads.

I don't know about chicks in eggs, but I do know that we had a VERY dramatic thunder and lightning storm here last night, and this morning, I found our first egg (laid by a 23-week old Buff Orp). My hubby thinks the storm scared it out of her.

It depends on the hen as to how long she will set. We have a Cochin hen that will set forever (or so it seems). She hatched some chicks, and we took them and put them in a brooder with other chicks the same age. She sat on the other eggs for another 3 weeks. She would have set herself to death if I hadn't taken the eggs and her nest away from her.

Jean

Also wanting to know if there is any truth to this storms-kill-chicks-in-eggs as I have a bantam silkie sitting on two duck eggs (she went broody, my duck was not = handy!). We are 8-7 days away from hatching day (or around the time they are due to hatch), and we've just had a crazy storm with lightening very close to us (we think there may have been a strike in town!!). Will my wee babies be okay??

Back
Top Bottom