Please help !!!! Chick hatched with yolk sac and mom stepped on it

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
Chick has chef with yolk sac and the hen stepped on it it’s leaking yolk and bleeding it swallowed yolk and is likely drowning still attached to the shell can I tie it with floss?
image.jpg

Do NOT cut. It'll just bleed more. It needs to be tied off to stop the bleeding. If the chick lives, the sac will fall off on its own eventually.

Bring the chick inside and keep it warm. This will hopefully give it a bit more energy and reduce stress. It CANNOT be left with mom or other chickens/chicks, as they'll likely try to peck at the blood and cause further damage/kill the chick.

If you have a "snot remover" (think a miniature turkey baster) you can insert it into the mouth and attempt to suck out some of the fluid. It might work or it might not -- it honestly depends on how much fluid the chick inhaled.

Do NOT cut. It'll just bleed more. It needs to be tied off to stop the bleeding. If the chick lives, the sac will fall off on its own eventually.

Bring the chick inside and keep it warm. This will hopefully give it a bit more energy and reduce stress. It CANNOT be left with mom or other chickens/chicks, as they'll likely try to peck at the blood and cause further damage/kill the chick.

It’s under a heat lamp away from the chicks and hen, the chick is trying to get up and is very alert, and I was going to tie it of with some floss but I’ll wait a bit

It’s under a heat lamp away from the chicks and hen, the chick is trying to get up and is very alert, and I was going to tie it of with some floss but I’ll wait a bit
Good to hear the chick is alert!

You should tie off the yolk sac as soon as possible to prevent further loss of blood. The chick will likely be weak for a bit since it won't be able to absorb the remaining yolk, but a weak chick is better than a dead chick!

I'm so sorry for the late response, and I hope the chick is doing well. You'll want to tie the floss around the middle of the cord that connects the sac to the abdomen. The goal is to restrict circulation so that the sac will stop bleeding and detach on its own.

Back
Top Bottom