Please help: chick not walking,

kritterdoc

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Hi all! I had a successful first hatch yesterday and it was truly exciting. I have six buff orpington chicks, five of which are fluffy and normal. One, however, isn't able to walk,. One leg is out straight and the other seems contracted, though I can move it gently. Is there anything I can do to help? Chick is vocal, taking water, still trying to fluff up, so I have him/her in the incubator still, but any words of wisdom would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you! I let him sit with support on my hand for a bit this morning before work and massaged his little leg. This chick likes to be held. :) This afternoon s/he's fine. :)

Thank you all! I love the support of chicken folks! The chick is getting around just fine; I put him in with the others and he's holding his own. He comes over to me when I go check on them, and he actually likes to snuggle for a little bit before I put him back in the brooder box. They are on well-textured paper towels for now (read about the evils of newspapers!) but will be switching to brown river sand soon based on what I have read. Hatching my first chickens has been a joy. How does God stuff so much chicken in such a small space?? So I can check in on them during the day while I'm at work, I set up a "Chicken cam" using the Dropcam Pro---fantastic piece of technology. I was able to share their hatching and progression to fluffy perfection with interested family and friends. :)

Thank you all! I love the support of chicken folks! The chick is getting around just fine; I put him in with the others and he's holding his own. He comes over to me when I go check on them, and he actually likes to snuggle for a little bit before I put him back in the brooder box. They are on well-textured paper towels for now (read about the evils of newspapers!) but will be switching to brown river sand soon based on what I have read. Hatching my first chickens has been a joy. How does God stuff so much chicken in such a small space?? So I can check in on them during the day while I'm at work, I set up a "Chicken cam" using the Dropcam Pro---fantastic piece of technology. I was able to share their hatching and progression to fluffy perfection with interested family and friends. :)
Congrats on your babies and hurrah that your chick is better!

Back
Top Bottom