Please help! Chick with issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cedarcovefarm, Oct 20, 2015.

1. cedarcovefarm

cedarcovefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2015
    I've posted this in another thread if you've already seen it please disregard.
    I have a little chick about 2 weeks old. Part of a staggered hatch. I believe one of the other chicks may have jumped on it. Anyways, it's got a slipped tendon that we've been caring for and trying to heal for a few days, but it's making a strange motion with its neck. I can't tell if this is a reflex or a seizure.. Please watch this YouTube video and give me your input [VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Chick sounds very unhappy, possibly afraid/lonely and/or cold.

What is up with the red marks? Are you sure there are no lice? Are you gently scratching the chicks head/neck area where she can't reach? If she can't scratch she may be itchy due to feather growth.

Use the video icon for embedding youtube:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. cedarcovefarm

Feb 15, 2015
    Her skin is just a reddish pink color. That's the color she was when she hatched. I'm pretty sure there's no lice. I hatched her and she never been outside. I do believe she gets cold but I can't figure out that weird spasm. That's a good thought on scratching. I'll definetly do that. And thanks for the info on embedding the video. I had no idea about that[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Do you have a heat source for her? Cold is very bad for chicks and that could be the death of her in the long run. There is a thread on making a "heating pad brooder", basically taking a heating pad, making a little cave out of it and letting the chick go in and out to warm up as needed.

5. cedarcovefarm

Feb 15, 2015
    I have a ceramic heat bulb over its brooder. I also put a petsafe heating pad under its paper towels after realizing it just wasn't warm enough. I'm also covering it will little scraps of flannel fabric[​IMG]my husband thinks I've lost my mind

6. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Just make sure the chick can get away from the heat too! I might try covering the heating pad with felt and making a little snuggle cave for the chick, it may be more comforting since the little thing is alone. Heck I might chick nap another one to keep her company.

Keep in mind for a flock/social animal like chickens a chick by themselves usually = dead chick. That has to cause a lot of psychological stress which is not good for their health.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by