PLEASE HELP! CHICKEN BULLYING THAT WONT STOP!!

Here's how I took care of a hen that was bullying another hen something terribly - this bully hen kept picking on one particular hen - not just peck at it once in awhile but kept chasing after it all the time - really felt sorry for the hen getting bullied - I tried putting the bully into a separate cage for different length of time but that didn't help - one day I got mad watching the bully so I took it out of the pen and shot it - boy what a difference in the hen house - it was very peaceful and everyone was getting along nicely - now some might think that my action was too extreme but it worked wonderfully - sometime extreme action is required -

chick jail. (works for broody hens too).... water, food only........ in a dog crate .... for days.... or a week.. what ever works . Let em out see if it stops... if not back in jail...sitting there with all the girls around.... NO TREATS NO WORMS NO NOTHING.. I also grab them and get into their faces... as stupid as that sounds it has worked for me. Same with my rooster... he tried to attack me and i screamed, yelled and chased him all around the coop (600 sf ) until he finally gave up crying for help..... he steers clear of me now...

I have this going on too. Right now, the bully is on day 10 of jail. The victim is still getting harassed a little bit by two other hens (#2&3) and I'm afraid if I cull the bully, one of them might take over.

I have pinless peepers on the way for the bully. I thought I could buy them at TSC; I had to order online instead.

The victim spent a week in jail first, just to be left alone. She got a little more sure of herself, but not enough, IMO.

I'd really like to keep them all. This happened somewhat out of the blue in February. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster (he isn't doing anything to protect the victim), and they have 164 sf in the run, which has been enough space for a year and a half.

I've had a nagging feeling that if anyone has to go, it would be the victim. I don't think the bully would go after anyone else.

I have this going on too. Right now, the bully is on day 10 of jail. The victim is still getting harassed a little bit by two other hens (#2&3) and I'm afraid if I cull the bully, one of them might take over.

I have pinless peepers on the way for the bully. I thought I could buy them at TSC; I had to order online instead.

The victim spent a week in jail first, just to be left alone. She got a little more sure of herself, but not enough, IMO.

I'd really like to keep them all. This happened somewhat out of the blue in February. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster (he isn't doing anything to protect the victim), and they have 164 sf in the run, which has been enough space for a year and a half.

I've had a nagging feeling that if anyone has to go, it would be the victim. I don't think the bully would go after anyone else.
Mine happened out of the blue as well. I’ve noticed when I isolate my favorite and first girl, who also happens to be top of the pecking order, everyone else gets along great. I thought my bully was just going after one, but then I noticed her picking on some others, as well.

I have her in the chicken apartment now, but have let her go into the coop at night, and have let her free range with the others, but I will try keeping them completely apart for a couple days before I rehome her. My problem is, I have a broody and her 7 chicks that need the apartment so I can put another broody and her chicks that are hatching now in the broody pen. I have another broody with chicks due on Wednesday, so it’s getting crowded 🥰

32B075ED-52AA-43FC-8DAB-ABADA896AAE9.jpeg
I’m sure I will end up doing the opposite as you as far as who has to go, but I hope it works out for you. These chickens can be stubborn as heck, and some are as sweet as sugar.

Back
Top Bottom