Please help! Chicken gasping for air amongst other symptoms!

Lileh

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
Hey all!

My chicken has recently become sick, I'm not sure with what. There seems to be a mix of things it could be per my googling and I'm wondering if anyone here has a more solid answer so we can get her some help.

Symptoms:
-She's sticking her neck out and gasping for air and then pulling her neck back in then repeating this motion over and over. Sometimes does it with eyes closed.
-Her poop was this white creamy colour, with a little bit of foam and bubbles
-She hasn't eaten today or had anything to drink. She went to eat and then stopped and continued with the gaping motion.
-Extremely lethargic - just stands under a bush.
-Still able to stand and walk around normally.

Further info:
She's a year and a bit old. She lays extremely infrequently and her egg shells are fairly brittle. She's not isolating from the rest of the flock -they're actually staying with her. I can't feel any lumps or anything out of the ordinary other than her being a bit thin because she hasn't eaten.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to lose her! Thank you!

Where are you located? Many times gasping can be a sign of a respiratory disease. There are viruses, bacterial infections, and diseases caused by mold fungus. Can you open her beak and look into it with a flashlight while someone holds her? Look for mucus, cheeselike plaques, a bad odor, or anything unusual.

Is she heavy, or does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, puffy or doughy? If you can take some pictures of her droppings that could help. Can you try to get her drinking some fluids? Electrolytes, gatorade, pedialyte or sugar water are all good.

Located in Melbourne, Aus. It’s the middle of summer here.

we looked in her throat and found nothing unusual. It all looked fine.
Crop is empty, hasn’t been eating for 24 hours. Can’t get her to take anything.

Managed to get to a vet Vet is recommending we put her down :(

Unfortunately sometimes we can’t know what the problem was until a necropsy can be done after we lose them. Placing a spoon or scoop up to her beak or the side of the beak, you can offer a little water that she might swallow.

Back
Top Bottom