please help: chicken won't walk or stand

oh man I am sorry, we went through the same thing too, they just don't want to stay in the sling. Sounds like you are doing everything you can for her! I hope she gets better soon or someone in here can help you more. Good luck

I am sorry for the losses and the injuries but I am glad this thread was revived. I came on looking for answers and help. I am dealing with two chickens who cannot walk right now. One has been ill but recovered but still cannot walk (I'm going to look into the mice droppings as I've seen mice in the run at night) and the other is a Silkie who was thrown out of the nest box by a larger hen and I think dislocated her hip. I had a horrible time trying to make a sling. I gave up. It seemed completely too much stress and pain for the bird not to mention I couldn't get it to work correctly (probably why it was painful and stressful!). Right now I have her in a small kennel to restrict her movement. She can get around to get her food and water and stand on her good leg, but that is it. I don't know what I'm hoping for or trying to achieve at this point - just getting through the days. The recovered one cannot use either of her legs but can use her wings again. She was in a coma for 2 days but snapped out of it 4 days ago and now cannot get enough to eat or drink. She is moving around by scooting and flopping. Her one leg is folded and locked so I don't mess with it for fear of hurting her more. I don't know what to do with her either other than I know she has the will to live so I'm trying.

I have a silkie rooster whos normally very alert and active but i checked on him yesterday and he was laying in the corner kinda like a broody hen when shes sitting on a clutch... i called him over and he tried to stand but fell back down... He's been losing feathers for about a week now so i figured he was just molting till this. His comb and earlobes are also very dull in color and he wont eat or drink alot. I forced water last night but im just worried about him... I checked for mites or any other parasites, i didnt see any. I also checked his legs and wings for any sores or broken bones but again i didnt see anything... Does any one have any ideas????

(He eats Dumor cracked corn mixed with granite pebbles and he has a liquid vitamin supplement in his water. I also give him bread every now and then. He has a run that i let him out in during the day but my hen is out there too and shes been just fine... PLEASE HELP! he was the first rooster i ever had so i really need to know whats wrong with him!!!)

This is him a couple monthes ago...
57908_img_8845.jpg

I hope it isnt! I worked with him yesterday and i got him to walk a little bit it seems like within the first ten minutes or so he llimps around favoring him left leg i checked him again and his leg looks and feels normal.. but after that ten minutes he can walk around without limping, its not a fast walk or anything but he can at least stand and take a couple steps here and there... If it is Mareks is there anything i can do? and should i isolate him because right now hes with my other show silkie. He seemed abit more responsive yesterday also but i noticed for the last couple days he hasnt been crowing either..

To me it doesn't sound like Mareks, but I am not an expert and have never seen Mareks first hand. However, from everything I have read I would separate him anyway just to be safe. I really hope your beautiful baby does not have Mareks. Hopefully someone else will be able to help more. But my first instinct when a chicken is sick is to get them away from the other's so that if it is contagious it does not spread and also to protect the ailing one from being picked on. Good luck, let us know how it goes
smile.png

Thanks everyone! I started my roo on a treatment for Mareck's (st. johns wort) and he's walking now! the paralysis is gone with not even a limp now! Hes not out of the tunnel yet but he's headed the right direction!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is excellent news! I have never heard of that treatment.....but if it works, yay!

They also say Gelsemium works well

Back
Top Bottom