please help: chicken won't walk or stand

Hi Bantam 0907 - So glad your roo is getting better. I was going to recommend Hypericum Perforatum which is one of the 12 different types of St. Johns herbs which is specifically for nerve damage. I found a thread on it by searching "Hypericum" on this forum. I googled Hypericum and it gave me all the info on herbal remedy meds and which form of St Johns to use. The regular St. Johns that people use apparently is for depression mostly, and not as good for nerve damage. Its the specific Hypericum herb (from St John's) to look for. I don't know if my pullet has Mareks disease or not but it seems this is the only tx. for it even though they say there is "no tx" for Mareks. She is getting better and can now stand and walk again (in her cage). She wasn't able to use either legs and both had curled toes, now one leg looks almost normal but weak and the worse leg has gotten better, able to move it now and stand on the lower part of that leg but the toes are still curling a little. I'm hoping that leg will also get better. She can now move the worse one which was straight out in back of her into a normal walking pattern, it just hasn't totally strengthened yet. Here's hoping!!! Glad your's is better!

Quote:
I took him off the medicine about two or three days after he could walk and he was acting normal but about a week later he relapsed... Ive started him on the treatment again and hes already perked up but ill have to try the Hypericium Perforatum to see if that will have a better effect, where can you get that or do you have to order offline? I have a Gnc about 10 minutes from me if they would have it that would be great! Well im soo glad you pullets doing better! I know how stressful it is when their sick, ill keep her in my prayers!
big_smile.png
Ill try to get a picture of evan now and what he looks like but heres a picture of him before he got sick... This was taken about a month before he got sick when he won first in variety at the county fair!

57908_evan.jpg

Hi Bantum0907,
Im so hoping you can help me out. Im new to raising chickens. I love them dearly. I have a Rhode Island Red that started limping, hobbling along a week ago. It seems to be her right leg/foot that is affected. Occasionally her toes seemed to be curled under. She is still eating and drinking--but I have moved both food and water close by so she can get to them. The first couple of days that she was hobbling she was getting to the food and water on her own. Now she tends to stay put. Occasionally inching her way around almost in circle. I was wanting more info about the herbs you tried which seemed to help. Can you give me specifics as to what to purchase and how to give. I hate seeing her like this. I have tried to call vets and most dont see chickens. One that does will only see his established farm animals- no one new.
Thank you so much for your help !

I have a silkie rooster going through this right now too. He is eating fine, drinking, poop is normal etc but his legs seem very weak. He has also had some tremors in them but I'm thinking he is in pain which is why the tremors at times. He was head rooster but in the matter of 2 months he is at the bottom with my other roosters trying to "take him out". It breaks my heart. I have him on vitamins, away from the others and under heat lamps. I know it is not worms, cocci....they have all been treated for that over the summer. I've tried antibiotics, dusting for mites/lice and just about everything else in my medicine stash. Not sure what else to do at this point but hope it is just a vitamin deficiency.

Quote:
My roo started off like that he was limping a little os i thought he had he hurt his leg then the wing and leg paralysis set in... I went to Meijer and got a syringe for babies, then i got St. Johns wort. To make the liquid open one capsule dump it into a small plastic or glass bowl NO METAL! and you have to use distilled water because tap water will nuetralize the herb... stir the mix together until completly combined. Use the syringe to suck up the mix and open the birds mouth, the herb HAS to touch the mucus membranes on the top of the mouth so drop 1 droplet on the tongue and let her close her mouth so her tongue rubs the roof of her mouth. you give 5-10 drops for a bantam and 10-15 drops for large fowl. My roo is very tamed so he lets me open his mouth completly and i just drop the liquid directly on the roof of his mouth but either way will work. I started seeing improvements almost immediatly! i would medicate her every day for about 2 weeks then stop the medicine, if she stays normal then great but if not start the treatment again. You cannot overdose on Hypericium but if you accidently give your bird to much it will exagerate the symptoms and make it seem really bad but after a day or so she will be fine again. If you do give her to much I would skip the next days dose. The St. Johns wort that most stores have is for depression and it does help but someone recommended if you have an herb store near you try to get Hypericium Perforatum it is especially for nerve damage. One down side i have noticed about Hypericium is that it has taken away my roosters color his comb and earlobes are almost white. Even though he may not be as pretty as he was hes alive and thats all that matters to me! Also Gelsemium or Yellow Jessamine was more highly suggested but i couldnt find it anywhere... But if you manage to find some i would use that the solution would be made the same way. I hope this helps... Keep me updated and ill keep her in my prayers! I know first hand how hard it is to see them so sick, just email me if you have any questions or updates!

Bantam, just to clarify is there any specific amount of distilled water you need to mix with the St. Johns Wart and how many milligrams are the capsules you used? Thank you

Quote:
Sorry! it is 1 tablespoon of distilled water and im not sure of the milligrams in the pills but i believe that the dosage on th e pills for a person is one that you take two pills a day. Hope that helps im not at home right now but when i get back ill check the milligrams and try to have it posted by monday afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom