PLEASE HELP! Chicks due this weekend and can't get humidity up

stout517

In the Brooder
May 1, 2015
Hey guys, I'm new to posting on BYC so bear with me. I have a little giant still air incubator, incubating 30 eggs it's day 19 and I can't get the humidity out of the 40s (staying around 45%) I have all water trays full along with a wet paper towel and wash clothe. I've never had this problem since I started most of the time it was getting too high. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to posting on BYC so bear with me. I have a little giant still air incubator, incubating 30 eggs it's day 19 and I can't get the humidity out of the 40s (staying around 45%) I have all water trays full along with a wet paper towel and wash clothe. I've never had this problem since I started most of the time it was getting too high. PLEASE HELP!!!
Hi there.Welcome to the page! Have you ever calibrated your hygrometer? It doesn't sound to me as though it's working right. That much water in your incubator your humidity should be a lot higher. You don't live in a dessert area, right? Is there any condensation at all in the incubator? You can add a couple wet sponges, but I'd soner think your hygrometer is off if you are not in a extrememly dry climate.

Last edited:
No I haven't I'm not sure how to do that? Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but the hygrometer has seemed to work correctly up until now going by air bubble development ( at least I think). No I actually live in southwest va and it's usually very humid here. Yes there is a little condensation but not as much as there has been before. Well I didn't have sponges so I put in a wet wash cloth and a wet paper towel but it's still only reading 49-50%. Should I just go but a new hygrometer?

No I haven't I'm not sure how to do that? Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but the hygrometer has seemed to work correctly up until now going by air bubble development ( at least I think). No I actually live in southwest va and it's usually very humid here. Yes there is a little condensation but not as much as there has been before. Well I didn't have sponges so I put in a wet wash cloth and a wet paper towel but it's still only reading 49-50%. Should I just go but a new hygrometer?
If you have any sign of condensation in the bator, then you have plenty of humidity in there. Usually you don't see condensation until 80% ish or more (at least in the styrofoam bators).
Testing hygrometers take a while: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/285284/calibrate-your-hygrometer-two-methods

At this point I wouldn't stress if you are seeing moisture inside the bator, just don't let it build up in there cause that's not good either. You have enough humidity. I would either check the hygrometer you have and if you buy any new ones (same for thermometers) check them, even brand new.

Thanks a lot for the reply! Going to get a hygrometer today and see if I can get it straightened out!

Back
Top Bottom