PLEASE HELP CHICKS NEARLY DEAD

there gone……………………………………………
hit.gif
down to 3
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
Just to be safe, I'd take away the chick starter and feed scrambled eggs instead, see if that helps. Other than that, you can give them electrolytes/vitamins.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm on my way out the door. :(

okay firstly there is ALWAYS THE option to take an animal to a veterinarian regardless of species. For most people with birds/fowl/poultry it proves to be too cost prohibitive.
Without subcutaneous fluids and a proper assessment chick#1 is almost certainly a gonner ( and prob would have been anyway because of how progressed his illness already is) HOWEVER IN REGARDS TO Chick #2 that seems more lively:
GIVE SEVERAL DROPS OF PEDIALYTE EVERY HOUR USING A SMALL SYRINGE. OR EVEN GATORADE IF YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE.
IN ADDITION:
GIVE SEVERAL DROPS OF A VERY WATERY MIXTURE OF WATER AND YOGURT.
Alternate these two things 8-10 times a day until you see her becoming more lively and pecking around etc...the update us.

Keep her warm because shes ill. 90 degrees is definitely too hot for 4 week olds but if shes ill youll want her to be extra warm. Be sure she can get away from the heat if necessary.
ONLY GIVE HER DROPS AT A TIME. LITERALLY ONLY DROPS!! IT WILL TAKE PATIENCE. if you give too much she will inhale it into her lungs (aspirate) and the you definitely will have no chance to save her. Keep in mind regardless of how hard you try she may not make it. Utilize the advice ive given you and keep us posted. ( at this point the stress of a vet visit might kill her anyway )

just read that you said the sick chicks have both passed? please keep my advice in mind for the future and sorry for the loss of your pets- j

Sorry for your loss.

I'm a total newbie, so take my advice with a grain of salt... Maybe this will help for next year:

I'm not sure of your set-up, but my brooder is long and thin, with the heat lamp at one end. This gives 2 areas - one where the heat lamp is and one that has no heat. I find this works really well. When I am too green to know what the chickens want, they tell me. If they are all under the lamp, it means they are too cool. If they are all in the unheated area it means they are too hot. If they run back and forth normally, it is just right.

Hope next year turns out spectacular!
ChickenPapaCT

Back
Top Bottom