Please help! Clueless:/

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
My hen has been acting weird all week. She hasn't been eating, only drinking water. He comb is still red, although it was redder. Her comb is now flopped a little to the side.. I can feel the bone in the middle of her stomach VERY clearly. I put he in a little dog kennel to warm her up. I gave her food and water. She ate a tiny bit and didn't drink anything. She kinda has the same signs as an egg-bound hen but a couple days ago I gave her a warm bath and did everything I could but it didn't make it better or worse..This all started about a week ago and she's getting worse and worse...She doesn't have mites...I thought maybe worms, but wouldn't the whole flock have it by now if it were worms?? I'm clueless!!!! Is there anything else to look for?? :( Thanks

*Edit* Also, right now she's sleeping and nothing even disturbs her.. I mean like noises and such. My hen is the kind of hen that HATES being held and LOVES food..Now she doesn't care if you do or don't hold her and could care less about food. I think she might like being held because it's warmth and comfort..

Last edited:
I recommend that you worm all your birds with either valbazen cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Oh! Is this safe for a duck? And do I use the regular dosage? Will it be okay to eat their eggs afterwards? Thank you!

Last edited:
So I gave her the Safe-Guard Liquid goat wormer yesterday. Has had no effect. :/ I gave her 2 1/2 ml.

That was a bit much, but shouldn't hurt her. It's 1cc per 10 lbs of bird. Did you feel for a stuck egg? It would feel like an egg inside a folded towel.... Between the legs and the vent. It would take a few days for her to feel better if it's worms. She may need an antibiotic if it's an internal infection...does she have a fever...

That was a bit much, but shouldn't hurt her. It's 1cc per 10 lbs of bird. Did you feel for a stuck egg? It would feel like an egg inside a folded towel.... Between the legs and the vent. It would take a few days for her to feel better if it's worms. She may need an antibiotic if it's an internal infection...does she have a fever...
She died this morning. I kinda knew that was coming. I did check for egg bound. Wish I would have thought of an internal infection! Gonna miss her! :)

I feel for you...one of my hen`s passed this eve, and I don`t know why either. I am new to chicken`s, got my first flock in August of this year and I love them so much. Big Mama will be dearly missed.

I feel for you...one of my hen`s passed this eve, and I don`t know why either. I am new to chicken`s, got my first flock in August of this year and I love them so much. Big Mama will be dearly missed.
Sorry to hear that! Funny though! My hen that died looks like the hen in your profile picture!:)

Back
Top Bottom