Please help! Coryza! Birds very sick!

Call your county extension agent or your state vet. They may know of a vet who will prescribe. Be aware that it is against federal regulations to prescribe baytril for an entire flock, expecially a flock kept as livestock versus pets. Tylan injectible is supposed to be better than powder.

Are you saying your friend always gives tylan in the water? That is not a good thing. Antibiotics should not be a constant, but only a treatment for an indicated period of time. Hopefully I misunderstood.

As to the receptionist who laughed, I would lodge a strong complaint with both the office manager and the veterinarian. People keep many different species of pets, and many people have distinct dislikes of certain types. If she disliked cats would that justify her laughing at having someone's pet cat treated? Ditto for if she disliked dogs, or parakeets, or parrots, or hedgehogs, or ...

And if it is livestock rather than pets, it is equally unjustifiable--livestock are income, and keeping a flock healthy is as important as is calling in the repairman when manufacturing equipment breaks. How would that receptionist feel if the copier or computer repair person laughed at her when she called in to have them fixed? Or the xray machine, or any of the other myriad pieces of veterinary technology used at that clinic?

Sonoran Silkies-He only gives them the Tylan when he notices symptoms. He said that he doesn't have as many cases as he use too after he started using the powder. My birds are pets, not livestock. This is not the first time I have been offended by this receptionist. Once when I was waiting to see the vet she was talking very flippedly on the phone to a friend (right in front of me) about a cat that she was about to have to help the vet euthanize. She is just a rude person I think. I am considering changing vets because of this. I have used the same vet for years, but this receptionist is unacceptable. I'm not one to rock the boat--especially in a small town like this. She is not only the receptionist, but she is like the vet's second hand person.

ManyH- How did you end up dealing with your outbreak?

Thank you so much for that link M@M@2four. I just ordered some gallimycin and the coryza vaccine from jeffers.
When it comes in I will go ahead and vaccinate the little ones and start the big ones on gallimycin for ten days and then vaccinate them. I hate to say it but I might have to cull the buffs. If I can find it in me to do it I will. They just look horrible.
I think they are located in alabama and I live in mississippi, so maybe it will come in by Friday. I have a plan now and that makes me feel a little bit better. My head is just swimming with all this stress.

If tylan 50 is not working and you are giving it twice a day... then switch to LA 200. When using Tylan you need to get all the goop out of the eye or puss and drop Tylan into the affected eye, even some in the mouth. They are not feeling well and will not eat good, hence loss of weight. You may have to tube feed her baby parrot formula- from a local pet store and keep a heat lamp on her- separate her anyway.. I use a baby goat syringe and tube. If you can get her well then treat all birds on property and all those after with a Coryza vaccine. If after the second round of shots the birds still show symptoms, they are the carriers.

AnimalMommy, sorry that your having this problem but I will also second what Chickenzoo has said. I would go with the LA200 I have used this before with great results and you can get it at the COOP. If there's anything I can do to help just let me know as I live in Phila also.

James

Okay, I contacted the state vet and explained what was going on. He referred me to the Mississippi Verterinary Research Lab. The vet there told me that it is probably not Coryza. She said that there are hardly any cases of that here in Mississippi. I am going to take the sickest birds to the lab on Friday and she is going to examine them and run some tests to see what this thing really is. I cancelled the meds that I ordered from Jeffers because she said that if they don't respond to Tylan then they are too far gone anyway. I have hope that the chicks and my rooster can be saved atleast.

Thank all of you for the wonderful advice. I will keep you posted on what happens.

James- Have you ever purchased birds from the flea market in town? That is where I bought these from around 4 months ago. The vet at the lab said that she performs random tests on birds at that flea market and over 2/3 of the birds are infected with respiratory dieases.

Back
Top Bottom