Please help, daughters pet chick dying!!!

Shawn Wilder

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
We have a buff orpington that has been sick for about two weeks it sneezes a lot with mucus discharge it sits around with little activity the other hens will not sit with her or rome the yard with her. we are raising them organic problem is, my children are taken with this one hen so we are contemplating antibiotics. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks you

For what it's worth...I recently had some kind of respiratory infection go through the flock. Symptoms were: crusty around eyes, ears, & nostrils. On some, the discharge was stinky, on others, not. The symptoms varied in range & intensity from chicken to chicken. I checked the internet & a couple of forums, trying for a diagnosis, but those varied too. So, here's what I did. I ordered injectible Tylan to have on hand in case symptoms got really serious. I also got some VetRx (I think it's organic but not sure), some eye drops called "1 drop, 1 eye, 1 time), some Neosporin, saline solution, lots of fruit-flavored yogurt, & a bunch of meal worms. If it's beginning to sound like I'm planning some hoodoo voodoo witchy stuff, you're not too far off.

First, I tried isolating the sick birds, but it was spreading too fast, so I just started treating.

If there were any symptoms at all, I washed around their eyes, got off what crust I could from eyes, nostrils, & ears, then rubbed Neosporin around the eyes. Everyone got dosed with the eye-drops & the VetRx. I continued with everything but the eye-drops for the next few days until I started seeing some improvement.

For a few that were sick enough to quit eating, I isolated them & started feeding them all the yogurt they would eat, along with bunches of meal worms. They couldn't resist the goodies & recovered their appetites very quickly. NOTE: for some reason, when chickens eat the mealies, their poo smells like a cesspool. So don't be alarmed if you walk in the pen & are blown away by the smell.

Everyone recovered from whatever they had & I never did have to use the Tylan, but I'm glad I have it on hand in case something else comes along. I've also stocked up on the VetRx & will make sure I have all my "sick bird supplies" on hand in case something else comes along.

Good luck with your chick. I'll be thinking good thoughts for her recovery.

Sounds like she probably needs some medications. Sorry, I haven't had much experience with antibiotics. We've been fortunate up to this point. Hopefully, someone who knows much more than me will give you some good advice.

I would think that it would be smart to isolate her from the other birds until you find out what is going on.

how long were your birds sick per bird if possible to tell our bird has never lost her appetite thanks for responding

Not all of mine lost their appetites, just a couple. If it's just respiratory, try the VetRx. Most feed stores have it or you can order it online. I think I got mine at Jeffers Poultry. All you have to do is put a drop in each nostril, 1 under each wing, and... somewhere else, not sure where but it's on the box. I think it works something like Vicks-Vapo-Rub. Hey! I wonder if that would work?
Country

I had an adult speckled sussex with similar symptoms. I treated with VetRx but it wasn't working. I took her to the vet and found out she had a sinus infection. I had to administer spectinomycin for 10 days and she was right as rain after 2 days but I went the whole course as one should with antibiotics. I don't normally use antibiotics either but this hen was a favorite and I am still learning so it was an opportunity to see the vet and learn about what to look for.

It does seem they loose their appetites when having upper respirtory difficulties. I like the Vet Rx under the wing dosing to help open up their little noses.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom