Please Help! Day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady08, Jul 13, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I just went out to check on my chickens and give them a treat and I found one of my broody hens eggs cracked. Now I don't know if the chick did it or the other chickens did it. it first looked like it was cracked from the inside but when I picked it up of course it pushed inward. It is day 18 (had one hatch on day 18 last Wednesday so I know they can come before day 21) I brought it inside and it is on a heating pad with a damp rag under the pouch of the heating pad. It is moving around in there but not sure what to do. I do see blood and unfortunately the egg shell hole is big but the membrane seems to be intact.

Someone please help me. I also posted in emergency section as well.

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    keep it war m and moist and hope for the best. Do you have an actual incubator?

3. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    I rescued some eggs and am hatching them under a light and in the bathroom. I keep putting hot water in the bathtub to make it humid. It might be worth a try for you. I have had 3 hatch and atleast 2 eggs are wiggling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by