Please Help: Day-old chick With Leg Issue

rabrabs14

Chirping
Sep 27, 2016
Iowa, USA
I have already but this in the emergencies forum but I'm desperate as this is the only chick that made it from the 6 eggs I was incubating

This chick was born yesterday and has been in the incubator all night. It was malpositioned and had a saddled air cell (shipped egg). Yesterday it was flailing both legs but now it won't move its right leg. The right leg 'hip' is protruding and is a red-ish color. I pulled it back a little to stretch it and the chick does not seem to be in pain. Will it just get better with time, or is there a serious issue??
The chick also does not keep its wings by its sides but outwards all the time. It moves every once in a while and peeps, so it seems lively.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think that it is a slipped tendon you need to put a splint on it so it doesn't stay like that for ever. Also is it drinking and eating? But try to put a splint on it like this picture here. Hope it helps you and please keep me informed.

It's not eating and drinking yet, but only because we haven't offered it food or water as it cannot even stand up. For the splint, should the leg be completely straight or should it be bent naturally?
Also, when should we offer it food and water?

Back
Top Bottom