please help!!! day old chicks

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Hello i incubated a few eggs i bought from a flock swap. They hatched yesterday. One came out of the egg with part of its intestine hanging out but i didnt know what to do to fix it not i have another chick thats lethargic does its belly look ok? Is this dark crusty bump normal? Or is this part of the intestine too?

Now its bleeding from its butt could it b constipated?

Well it died as I was trying to get it to stand up again....I thought it had the issue where the legs are apart thats why I had the band aid on it's legs in the picture.....anyway it started throwing up clear slime like substance and then nothing.....I tried to hold it on it's side so it didn't choke on it but I'm not sure if at this point that that even helped I think that was just the end....I hate it so much I was trying so hard to help it. Anyone with info that may could tell me if what the picture showed if it was the cord hanging out or anything?

Sorry for your loss. The dark scab is the umbilical cord that hasn't fallen off yet, and can be seen frequently when hatching chicks. It look to have had some blood between the vent opening and the cord--do you think it had been pecked? There's not much that can be done for a chick with intestines hanging out, but if it is just a vent prolapse, you can try pushing the pink vent back inside, and applying honey or Preparation H.

There was no blood on the paper towel in the brooding bin....there are three other chicks in there and their cord wasn't like this ones....this one poked out and was black and swollen around the stomach so I didn't know if it was part of the intestine at all....The other three actually didn't bother this one at all. They would lay next to it when resting and then go to the other side when awake while it laid there. I opened the vent a little and there was poop inside but wouldn't come out at all....that's when I noticed the blood but I didn't think I had ripped or tore anything I think either it was constipated or the place where the cord was there was something wrong there.....but I'm at a loss other than that. The stomach was swollen a bit more than the other chicks too....

Back
Top Bottom