Please Help....Did I Mess Up My Coop Design?

Quote:
I'd be awfully careful about that (actually no, I just wouldn't do it). That is a recipe for greenhouse-like heat during the daytime, some of which will linger problematicaly into evening. (Without actually making things one bit warmer on winter nights, and indeed you'll have a condensation problem if your temps get down below freezing). Better to cut a window-type hole and put plexiglas (or whatever) on THAT.

Also I plan on adding the corrugated plastic to the sides below so the muscovies have light below as well. Creating a double decker until I can construct something better for them.

Now *that* would indeed be a good use for corrugated plastic
smile.png

As far as vents go, I left a 2x4 with gap along the top length of the coop

The problem is that this lets rain in, and also will cause a cold draft directly down onto the chickens. It really needs to be closed up altogether.

and plan on putting the type of vents in that look like 2x4s with holes in the center and mesh inside that, usually used for attic ventilation. Do you think that would be enough?

Not really, but anything's better than nothing. Larger vents occupying most of the upper triangular areas of the two sides would be a far better bet IMO.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

** Up-Date* Pic-Heavy**

I should start out by saying the larger of my White Rhode Island hens Laid an egg earlier this week, My 1st egg ever!!!! In a box below in the coop! I have had one from her every day since 6 total!! She seems to lay them at 9-ish in the morning. Must be doing something right, hated to re-construct my coop right after she started laying but, I started early in the morning and worked on it all day. Took some suggestions but am sure I could use more.

CIMG0730.jpg

First off painted my coop inside and out 100% with kilz paint, Two coats, even did the under side. Hopefully that makes it easier to keep clean and sanitary. As well as longer lasting, bugs moister, mold, ect: I plan on painting the out side again when the weather clears up, to provide extra protection. Any thoughts experience with this product?

Also after researching the importance of natural light and decided to add two one foot square sky lights to the roof of the coop, I simply cut out two squares and replaced them with corrugated plastic then Backed them up with wire mesh just in case, the corrugated plastic breaks. Combined with the white paint inside really brightens up the interior. Looks to be sufficient lighting, Do you think I need more? Is there a sq ft per chicken rule?

CIMG1000.jpg

CIMG1025.jpg

CIMG1033.jpg

CIMG1024.jpg

CIMG1023.jpg

Also I put a 2x4 across all the beds below, and seems to be more inviting and will defiantly keep the eggs in better. As well as installing a really tough locking door, heard the raccoons are vicious around here...

CIMG1034.jpg

I adopted 4 little 2-3 month old female muscovies as well, (Thank you Bleenie) They have been such a joy to have every day. At night as far as the coop are concerned, for now they temporally all cuddle up in one box below the chickens. And am planning on enclosing the lower half of the coop this weekend just for them Will be sure to include windows this time
smile.png
. Will post pics when finished. I have read to make a appox 1x2 box with a 6inx8in ish circle cut off to one side. Has anyone else out there done this? Or have any suggestions on this matter?

CIMG1032.jpg

CIMG0891.jpg

Other than the coop construction, I am loving being a chicken/ Muscovy mama, I love hanging out with, constant entertainment! They love, fresh cheese grated organic fruits and veggies and also loved me cleaning out the dead plants from the garden, Fallowing behind me watching for any movement in the soil, and quickly pouncing on it! Also I got a pool for my muscovies and they can not get enough, I have also found that they love it when I pull out the hose and chase the splash around where ever it goes, They even love the rain! Silly duckies. So far though they stick close to the chickens and fallow them in and out of the coop morning and night.

CIMG1012.jpg

CIMG1014.jpg

CIMG0517.jpg

I also have my coop strategically placed near my bedroom window, not only in case somthing "fishy" happens but so I hear them resting around in the morning, I reach out unlock the carabiner open the door and go back to bed.
smile.png

I am even lucky enough to have a really mellow Red Heeler/ Australian Cattle dog that is a natural at being a guardian over the little ones. For now they seem to be happy, but any added experience would be as always appreciated.

CIMG0880.jpg

jessylee,
First let me say that I really enjoyed reading your thread and looking at your photos. It reminds me so much of my first coop, and chickens, about 10 yrs ago. My first coop was a little small for my 3 birds ( roughly 4x3), had no ventilation or windows aside from the pop door, and had no nest box (well, it did, but was up too high, they never used it, finally took it out. They laid in the floor just fine). I think as long as your birds only use the coop for egg laying and roosting at night, the space should be ok for your 4. I love the skylights and your ramp ; I may have to incorporate some of those ideas into my next coop! I also like how you utilized space with the nestbox/roost set up, although I agree it is a bit tight with the roofline being so steep. Bleenie had a really good suggestion. Pat also knows a lot about ventilation and I read and took her ventilation page to heart. My birds did ok without ventilation until we had some bad weather and had to be confined for several days;then they got an upper respiratory infection. I know you are in a mild climate, but there may be times when you have to confine them and will want more ventilation.
I love the Kilz--makes everything so nice and bright! I used it on my second coop and love how light and bright the interior is. My next build will definitely be painted white inside. And can I say how jealous I am that you can merely open your window (from BED!) to let the girls out? That was a stroke of genius on your part! I have to get up, put on shoes, walk across the lawn, and into the coop, to let them out. Then try going back to sleep
roll.png

I think you did a good job for a first coop, and your babies look beautiful, happy and healthy. Congrats on your first eggs, too!

and PS
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
It looks so nice & bright with the new paint job (kilz is great stuff!). I am glad to see the babies settled in well and they look so happy!! I love how you made the ramp up into the run, do the ducklings use it or do you have to put them in at night? the 3 I am finally down to are still sleeping in their dog house so they haven't even tried any of the ramps yet, lol.

Welcome to BYC's from another Washingtonian -

If you can, I would take out the next boxes on the right and under the roost and put one large next box mounted on the outside on the left side to open up the space inside the coop. You don't have enough space for them inside the coop. I would also put in another window/vent up at the top ridge (triangle).

Get the ducks under the coop but make sure it's easy to rake out because they will poop a lot when they get older. I have 3 muscovies and 5 banty ducks and they really do poop a lot.

This is a picture of my duck hut that I lock them up in at night. I plan to make a new one for just the banties since the muscovies are getting big.

24846_duck_shelter_aug_22_2010_010.jpg

To: Kansaseq,

Thanks for all the kind words, I checked out your links to your farm, Very nice! I cant wait to have a nice piece of property in the country like yours, You are very fortunate. The little girl inside me is alive and well, too
smile.png
I will have a horse someday. But for now I am starting out with chicken and ducks in my urban yard. And learning TONS! Thank you for the welcome I am so glad this forum insists, it has helped me tremendously already! Take care and live the dream!
Jessy

To: Bleenie

Hey! Yeah they use the ramp all by them selfs it is so cute! Slow and steady seems to be the motto! They really are taking a liking to the chickens and seem to fallow them out in the morning, and when I go out at night they are all loaded up ready for bed, I did have to put twice as many foot grips on the ramp so their little legs could reach them though! Thanks again for them they make me laugh and smile more than you know, Who needs Tv? Just get your self a Muscovy...ooo that rhymes I like it! he,he se ya!

To: Sweet Cheeks

Hey thanks for the welcome this is a really nice community of animal lovers! But about the coop, yes I do plan on enlarging the coop so the roof is not so steep, and there is more interior space, hopefully before winter gets too bad, they do need more space in there, and for ventilation. The 2x4 along the length of the top of the coop that has 2 inch holes drilled in it with mesh,(will post pic later) I think it will vent the coop pretty good.
Think I am going to give my muscovies the option of boxes or a perch down below as well. Do your muscovies like boxes? I really like you coop. Looks cozy. Thanks for the tips, Have a nice day!

i have the same design as you do and all my chickens sleep up on the roost (except for the silkie who is a bad flyer) i think you should see a egg any day. are you sure they aren't laying in a secret spot like under a bush? sometimes putting fake wooden or plastic eggs in the nest boxes will show them to lay in their. I also have a muscovy in with my chickens and also a goose. they all get alone together and never fight. i am starting to think the chickens and duck all think they are a geese seeing that they follow the goose everywhere.
by the way your easter egger looks exactly like mine lol

Last edited:
Jessylee - What are the dimensions of your coop?
I just learned more about coop design reading the posts regarding your coop. Aren't BYC people great?
I'm building a 4x4 coop for my 3 chickens, first time building anything and I'm new to chickens.
You did a great job, I love the interior painted too. Good Luck! Carrie Lynn

Last edited:
Your duck babies sure are cute!

I want to chime in with the others and suggest removing your nest boxes. With the number of birds that you have, it is okay for them to all share one nest. They don't each need their own. Having more space is more important.

One possibility would be to build a small nest box and attach it to the outside of the building. Then, just cut a chicken sized hole in the building for them to go into the nest box. Another option would be to put a single nest on the floor of the chicken house. Anything that makes a chicken sized hidey hole will work for this.

Back
Top Bottom