Please Help !! Did my Chicken Broke her leg or wing ?? what can i do ?

sandrameissnest

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
hi,
i have a red star she is over 1 year old.
today she climbed up some tiers what he had in the back stacked up- and she flew on top and fell and the tier fell on her ( on her side on the wing and leg part )
now she has her leg cramped up, sometimes when she tryes to walk she uses her wing , i checked her toes she can still clamp them together i touched around her leg i cant feel anything. she does has still strengh in her leg.
but wont walk on it. she still eats a lot.
she did stretched her leg as well but then its again up to her body.
what should i do ? what can i do ?
i put her on my patio for now so that she relaxes here by herself.
Please help !!

I would move it around and continue to try to feel if anything's broken. Is it jutting in the wrong direction? Not moving the way it's supposed to? If she has full range of movement, it could always be a sprain. If you're really concerned, you can take her to the vet. If you don't want to do that, give her a few days... if range of motion worsens and she continues to hold it up, you can create a splint for it. Do the same with the wing, but if the wing's broken it will probably be "droopy," and it doesn't sound like hers is like that.

You can keep her separate with electrolytes or garlic/apple cider vinegar, water, and her regular food as well as high protein, though if the others aren't picking on her, you don't have to separate her. Consider, if you leave her with the others, creating a roost that's short enough that she can easily hop into it with one leg, or at least a safe space on the ground where she can roost.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Keep her quite, feed, watered and watch. Don't let her get too cold, if you have to move her indoors. Let her use the energy to heal rather than keep warm. These things take time. tomorrow, let her out and see if she moves better, don't keep her locked up she needs exercise. She probably got a good wack from that tire and will need a couple days.
Good Luck with her.

Thanks so much everybody,
yes its pritty warm here in FL so and we have a huge patio- i will let her tomorrow in the yard-
like i said her leg feels fine- and now its not in the wrong direction
i will check tomorrow the leg again.
i hope she is going to be fine. since she is so lovable. and a very good egg layer too.
the only thing with her is she loves to climb up high - there where she shouldnt be.
thanks again for your support
i will keep you posted.

let me ask you something if its not broken- do i just leave it alone ? or do i still put a splint on it ?
should i massage something on her ? on the leg like a cream ?? or so ?

If it's not broken, I wouldn't create a splint, I would let her deal with it on her own. Chickens heal really fast! I agree with 20736, though since you're in Florida I can't imagine it being too cold for her--as long as it's not below freezing I'd leave her in the coop.

Don't rub anything on it. Is it swollen or discolored?

The thing to do would be to give her high-protein treats to help her with the healing process. My hens' favorite is scrambled eggs, but you can also feed various seeds (sunflower, sesame, etc). I also like to feed them wet catfood, but it's not something you're supposed to feed because of high levels of certain minerals and sodium.

hello,
so today she streches her leg and her toes , she can strech it all the way she all was standing on it - but when she trys to walk she falls down she cant keep her weight on the leg.
so what now ? should i just leave her ? and just give her water and food ?
if i have to make a splint- HOW ?
please help
thanks

i forgot - most of the times she is laying down -
\she also layed an egg today ,she is so wonderfull
it is ok for her to lay down so much ? is she in pain?

I would leave her as she is, it sounds like it is bruised, if she is able to stand on the leg and stretch it normally it is unlikely it is broken so she won't need a splint, it is early days since the accident and bruising takes a while to heal, she is most likely in a little pain but this is her bodies way of stopping her using it too much whilst it heals
smile.png

See how she is in a weeks time if she is still limping as bad or worse then maybe it is something more but I suspect she will improve over the next few days once the bruising goes down.

Back
Top Bottom