Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
Check out this picture. You can see where the membrane is torn right under the yellow but it's dry and no yolk under the membrane. The chick sounds like it's getting frustrated.
20200810_211328.jpg

How long do you suggest I give it until I assist further? I don't want to kill the chick but I don't want it suffering until it dies in the shell either. I know that I just asked you a completely impossible question, so I apologize. If this were your chick and maybe your sister messed up in assisting, like I did, how would you proceed from here, to give this chick the best chance possible? Thank you again, for everything

Edited to add that I don't know if you have a sister but I know that you wouldn't make a mistake like this, especially with the experience you have.i apologize if I am being more confusing. Anytime I'm nervous I talk even more than normal (and my normal is A LOT). Plus add the fact that I'm terrified that I hurt this chick and I'm sure I get annoying

So according to the beak that just pecked at the pip, it's head in now turned the other way. It is rapidly pecking at the pipped area but it's only membrane there

How long do you suggest I give it until I assist further? I don't want to kill the chick but I don't want it suffering until it dies in the shell either. I know that I just asked you a completely impossible question, so I apologize. If this were your chick and maybe your sister messed up in assisting, like I did, how would you proceed from here, to give this chick the best chance possible? Thank you again, for everything

Edited to add that I don't know if you have a sister but I know that you wouldn't make a mistake like this, especially with the experience you have.i apologize if I am being more confusing. Anytime I'm nervous I talk even more than normal (and my normal is A LOT). Plus add the fact that I'm terrified that I hurt this chick and I'm sure I get annoying
Yeah... That is kinda a hard one to answer. Probably at least a few hours.
What I would do is just watch and wait. I'd set an alarm for a few times overnight, up the humidity to 70%, and I'd open the air cell like my quail pic. Then put coconut oil on that. I do have a sister lol. And she does mess up in assisting all the time 😂
You're totally ok. I get it.

So according to the beak that just pecked at the pip, it's head in now turned the other way. It is rapidly pecking at the pipped area but it's only membrane there
:idunno
So confusing. Idk how he ended up so malpositioned. I think he'll be ok, but he will definitely need some help eventually.

Yeah... That is kinda a hard one to answer. Probably at least a few hours.
What I would do is just watch and wait. I'd set an alarm for a few times overnight, up the humidity to 70%, and I'd open the air cell like my quail pic. Then put coconut oil on that. I do have a sister lol. And she does mess up in assisting all the time 😂
You're totally ok. I get it.
I should continue with opening the air cell, membrane too? The chick sounds so frustrated.
There is a slightly higher chance for mushy chick disease, right? Is there anything I can do to help avoid death, in case it is that?

I should continue with opening the air cell, membrane too? The chick sounds so frustrated.
There is a slightly higher chance for mushy chick disease, right? Is there anything I can do to help avoid death, in case it is that?
Yeah. Don't open any membrane in the air cell of you can help it. It's ok if a little bit of the membrane comes off, but not too much.
It might be, but I think that's pretty unlikely.
I don't have any personal experience with mushy chick though. I don't think musjy chick presents itself in that way though. I think this has something to do with the malposition.
As far as I know, Mushy chick is usually pretty fatal, I don't know what treatment options there are as far as that goes.
Hopefully that's not it. Any progress?

Yeah. Don't open any membrane in the air cell of you can help it. It's ok if a little bit of the membrane comes off, but not too much.
It might be, but I think that's pretty unlikely.
I don't have any personal experience with mushy chick though. I don't think musjy chick presents itself in that way though. I think this has something to do with the malposition.
As far as I know, Mushy chick is usually pretty fatal, I don't know what treatment options there are as far as that goes.
Hopefully that's not it. Any progress?

I haven't done anything else with the shell or anything but I just came back here to check on it and it's ripped through the membrane in the air cell. The chick doesn't seem to have moved at all. It is still alive but just laying there and fussing whenever I come by to check on it.

Back
Top Bottom