Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I was candling and moving eggs one at a time to the hatcher. I got through 5 eggs (candled and moved to hatcher individually) and the next one I picked up, I noticed a crack, then cheeps. I realized what was going on and put it back into the incubator since the hatcher is in another room. I immediately raised the humidity since I don't have it high in the incubator but now I'm worried that the chick is going to get shrink wrapped and/or injured by the turner. The turner isn't on as I just use it for holding the eggs. There is another egg that has a crack as well, but neither pipped in the air cell. Should I open again to place some coconut oil on the cracks in hopes of it seeping down and lubricating the membrane? Should I quickly move the remaining eggs into the hatcher and place a warm damp washcloth in with them?

20200629_125800.jpg

Just in case someone comes across this thread and is curious, I ended up leaving everything for 8 hours, checking in on it every hour and a half throughout the night. I decided to move the eggs that are still incubating to my Incuview incubator that was right beside this one, incubating other eggs. I also removed the turner and then placed a hot damp washcloth in with the pipped eggs and the humidity rose to 70%. Since the chick pipped on the side of the egg, I believe it did hit a blood vessel as there is some red staining on the inside of the shell. Hopefully this adorable blue Silkie will thrive and live a long life. I'm so anxious to get it out of the incubator, but the other pipped egg is trying to hatch. I'm praying for at least 2 healthy chicks as I doubt my broody silkie will accept any new chicks since her Dutch babies are a week old now. I do have a brooder set up so I'll more than likely just brood them myself

Definitely calibrate. I put mine insealed Ziploc bags, and submerge them in a tall cup mostly full of crushed ice and a bit of cold water. Not much water though. Give them at least 10 minutes, check, and if at 32 you can take them out. If not, leave them longer. 30 minutes at most. If tgey won't go down to 32 try the ice bath again. If it won't go to 32 I'd discontinue using it. Only use ones that go down to 32.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the easiest way I found this explained! I'm not an idiot but I have really bad ADHD and reading things that have lots of instructions can be a challenge, especially now that I have taken a break from adhd meds. Thank you so much! I will be checking them all after I get chickens and ducks up tonight. I can't thank you enough for this. I realize that I probably make myself sound really uneducated but I get all messed up every time I try to learn about checking for accuracy/calibrating.

@MGG i wish I could express how grateful I am for your help & all of the time you've shared with me. I have a few folks on here that I am forever grateful for and you are on that list too. If there is anything I can ever do for you, please let me know. I can't thank you enough. Honestly I feel so blessed to have your help. I am in awe of your generosity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart
I'm so thankful to be a part of this community. I really love helping others. I'm incredibly honored to be on your list. Thank you! This is such a special place. I've only been on here a few months, and I was worried at first that I wouldn't be accepted. Now I feel like this is the only place I can be viewed as "normal". Lol. I love that everyone here loves the birds as much as I do. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. :hugs

I LOVE them so much! I have Brabanter's being shipped to me soon as well. I adore a crested bird! I should add that I absolutely love noncrested too! You'd think that I'd have polish, but I don't........... yet, hahaha! Maybe once I start getting better hatches, I'll stop ordering so many eggs! I am going to check on the little egg and attempt to assist if it's still not out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate you so so much
Brabanters! :drool
I love crested birds too. They're so cool. I think Hamburgs are really pretty too. And D'uccles, lol. I hope you start getting much better hatch rates soon. Let me know how the assist goes. If it isn't ready (yawning, chewing, or any blood) stop and put it back for a while. Don't rush the little one. Good luck! I'm going to take care of the chickens, I'll be back soon.

I am working on calibrating. They're all very close, so that's why I am still trying to figure out how to calibrate. I am going to figure it out and calibrate tonight though because this is heart wrenching
Definitely calibrate. I put mine insealed Ziploc bags, and submerge them in a tall cup mostly full of crushed ice and a bit of cold water. Not much water though. Give them at least 10 minutes, check, and if at 32 you can take them out. If not, leave them longer. 30 minutes at most. If tgey won't go down to 32 try the ice bath again. If it won't go to 32 I'd discontinue using it. Only use ones that go down to 32.

I have thought about the cartons causing some problems, even though I cut the sides way down low and cut out the bottom. The incubator isn't designed to properly incubate like this, so I am so happy to hear you mention this
I have always been suspicious of incubating upright. I like to just do them on their sides. I've never had any bad hatch rates so it must work ok. If you get any more eggs maybe try it. It might help.

Back
Top Bottom