PLEASE HELP!!! Duck not walking/eating

ashes22

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Hi - my one duck is barely moving. When he gets up to walk he puts his wings down takes two steps and lays back down and he won't really eat or drink. When he does walk he keeps stepping over his other foot and trips all the time. I have only had my ducks a few months so they are all young. They were all fine until I put them into the backyard. I don't know if he ate something - I just moved and made sure I cleaned the yard before putting them there. I am not sure what to do other than get Niacin capsules. I wrote a similar post the other day but got no response. PLEASE HELP! I can't afford a vet right now because we just bought a house so money is really tight. If i must I will always find a way to get they there but if I can try any home remedies I would appreciate it.

Hi - my one duck is barely moving. When he gets up to walk he puts his wings down takes two steps and lays back down and he won't really eat or drink. When he does walk he keeps stepping over his other foot and trips all the time. I have only had my ducks a few months so they are all young. They were all fine until I put them into the backyard. I don't know if he ate something - I just moved and made sure I cleaned the yard before putting them there. I am not sure what to do other than get Niacin capsules. I wrote a similar post the other day but got no response. PLEASE HELP! I can't afford a vet right now because we just bought a house so money is really tight. If i must I will always find a way to get they there but if I can try any home remedies I would appreciate it.
Get the niacin make sure it's plain not time released or flush free, if a couple months old then 150-200 megs to 1 gal of water. daily. if you think a toxin then do a flush with activated charcoal It can be bought at Walmart or most drugstores in the antacid isle.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

is your duck eating and drinking ?

Last edited:
Thank you for answering. Not really eating or drinking. I've been outside just sitting with him. The other ducks surround him whenever I leave the coop. I put a small bowl of food and water in front of him so he didn't have to walk far but he didn't want to be bothered with it. I was going to bring him in the house for the night and just monitor him but he went nuts quacking up a storm when he wasn't with the other ducks and I don't want to put any more stress on him so I left with his "brothers". He has this small quack that sounds as if he is asking for help. It breaks my heart because I have no idea how to help him.

I bought the Niacin and put it in the food and water - I hope he eats/ drinks soon so he can start feeling better

Last edited:
Thank you for answering. Not really eating or drinking. I've been outside just sitting with him. The other ducks surround him whenever I leave the coop. I put a small bowl of food and water in front of him so he didn't have to walk far but he didn't want to be bothered with it. I was going to bring him in the house for the night and just monitor him but he went nuts quacking up a storm when he wasn't with the other ducks and I don't want to put any more stress on him so I left with his "brothers". He has this small quack that sounds as if he is asking for help. It breaks my heart because I have no idea how to help him.

I bought the Niacin and put it in the food and water - I hope he eats/ drinks soon so he can start feeling better
You might try moistening his feed with a little ACV and warm water. the ACV will help keep it from molding and also has some health benefits as well and sometimes they will eat it moist when they feel bad.

I hope you see improvement real soon.

Thank you, I will try anything to get my little guy better. If he is still doing poorly tonight should i take him inside? I don't want to cause any more stress on him but I also want to make sure he is getting the proper care he needs. I won't be able to make it back on til later so I am sorry if I respond late.

Thank you, I will try anything to get my little guy better. If he is still doing poorly tonight should i take him inside? I don't want to cause any more stress on him but I also want to make sure he is getting the proper care he needs. I won't be able to make it back on til later so I am sorry if I respond late.
If you feel having him inside will help then by all means bring him in, if he gets too stressed then he might be better off with his buds. you'll have to make that decision when it comes. But most of all you want to get him over this and you may have to help him drink the niacin water by using a syringe[needle less] and very gently place some inside his bill not down his throat but just inside to get him to drink. getting the niacin in him if it's a dif is what is going to help him. I'd pick up the activated charcoal also. if you don't see a noticeable improvement after using the niacin I'd do a flush. Usually if it's a niacin diff they begin to show improvement in a couple days.

Miss Lydia - I just wanted to let you know that my duck is doing better. I have been putting the Niacin in the food and water and he has made such an improvement. Still having a little trouble walking (stepping on his over his feet when he walks) Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom