PLEASE HELP Duckling bleeding from wing

OldMissionChick

Songster
Mar 2, 2015
Northern Michigan
I checked on our ducklings who are almost a month old and noticed bloody bedding. And found one to be bleeding from the tip of a wing feather. It was a bit difficult to get a good picture.

I dont know what to do. Please help

Last edited:
It could be a blood feather, and if you pull the feather out, it may be fine. I have no experience with ducks, but chickens with feathered legs occasionally have this problem.

They are just under a month old and going from fluffy down to their big bird feathers. When they have that keratin coating still on are they called pin or blood feathers? The bleeding stopped so fingers crossed it will be fine.

I've got two ducks with this same problem. They are being bullied. The bully duck is nipping at the tips of their wings and drawing blood. Any suggestions? They are skittish, so any sudden movements cause a stampede and potential further injuries. We move real slow around the flock and they are getting more used to people. But the bullying has to stop. Once I figure out which one or two are doing the pecking, they might become dinner.

Back
Top Bottom