Please help!! Duckling is dying!!!

Jessica89

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
North Wales
Hi guys.

I am crying my eyes put here.

I have a duck and four ducklings. One of the ducklings managed to jump in the mums water bowl.
Im not sure how long it was in there for but her head was hanging over side! :'( :'( I feel its all my fault.

She is breathing but think she has hypothermia. I have her wrapped in my arms in a warm towel.

Do you think she has a good chance of surviving and is there anything else I should do?? :'(

Thanks x

Your best chance is getting her warm. Get her in an incubator if at all possible, or under a heat lamp. She could be in shock so keep her in a warm, quiet area.

Thank you! Definitely not going to go to college to become a Vet Nurse. My family thought someone had died , I was crying my eyes out and couldn't even talk!

She is coming around slowly :D I think she might be okay. She is pressed up against my boyfriends chest and a warm towel whilst the heater lamp heats up!

Bless her. I feel so stupid.. I would never have forgiven myself if she died!

Do you have a brood light that you could hold her near until she warms up or an incubator you could sit her in?

If not maybe you could use a hot water bottle.

Don't blame yourself. It's hard to keep ducks from water.

Hair dryers on low setting are really good in these situations to get them warmed up and dried off as quickly as possible. Gently massage their fluff/feathers to help them dry faster. Just be sure you have your hand between the hairdryer and the duckling so you can always feel how warm it is and prevent the duckling from becoming too hot or burnt from the dryer.

How is the duckling now? Sometimes they can bounce right back after something like this if you get them warm and dry fast enough, but sometimes not so just keep it warm, safe, and make sure it starts eating again asap. Good luck!

Thank you all for your comments. We managed to get her warmed up and she literally sprung back to life. She is with the other ducklings and mom now . :)

I am taking the washing up bowl full of water out. Im wondering how long she must have been stuck in there for? She was so cold and when I put her down, she couldn't walk.

I am amazed she has survived . Mum said there was a little Robin perched on the side of the washing up bowl afterwards. A robin always follows my mum and we swear it's Granddad.
He was definitely there to help :)

So pleased she seems ok!
Can I ask...how old is she?
At what age are ducklings safe with water bowls?

Back
Top Bottom