Please Help!!! Electrician ..... I am NOT. Need understanding.

A1momof3

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Quitman, Texas
I have read and read and read and I still can not decide on a couple of key issues due to lack of understanding. I am hoping someone can help me gain understanding.

Problem #1. Automatic egg turner or not??
idunno.gif

I have read where some say eggs need to be turned 3 times a day but then other say they set their auto turners to turn every 2 or 4 hours. So how often do they really need to be turned? If it is just 3 times then I am not sure I really need the automatic. But if it is better and increases the hatch rate to turn them more then I will have to figure out how to wire one up.

Problem #2. What motor do I need to run an Automatic turner?
hu.gif

I have several kinds of things around here that has all kinds of parts and I am not sure what has what I need to use. Some property we just bought had several OLD TV's, and older model copy machine, old computer, ceiling fans...... I need to know what I can use from any of these things for my incubator. Would there be a motor in this stuff I can use? What kind of motor do I need?

Problem #3 Once I get a motor how do I hook it up? To what do I hook it up to?
barnie.gif

I know that seems like 2 question in one, sorry. I have looked at buying the egg turners like the LG but I can't see paying 50 for it plus the way they are build it won't fix in my cabinet. So now I have to figure out how to build one the easiest way I can. All I am going to have right now is just one tray or drawer for the eggs and one for hatching. Then I have to figure out how to wire it all up.

Problem #4 Thermometers...hydrometers....thermostats ...wiring to where lights go on and off at different temps?
th.gif

So at first I thought I had this part down. Just buy the thermometers/hydrometers like acurite and set up inside to monitor your heat and humidity. Then I started reading about wafer thermostats and water heater thermostats and lights that are wired to come on and off when needed. What..WHAaaT??

What I do understand is needing light bulbs, water, sponges, rocks or bottles of water and fans and how to make the fan works. That I found good simple instructions for and I have what I need for that.
clap.gif
Yea me!!!

So you see why easy got hard?? If I am going to put forth the effort to make this I want it to have the best of all the worlds to promote high hatch rates but I don't want to spend time on things that are not really needed. So Please help me understand. What of all this is really important and needed to have a productive hatching and what are just nice bells and whistles?
Here is what I am using to make my incubator, just as a FYI.

Last edited:
I have read and read and read and I still can not decide on a couple of key issues due to lack of understanding. I am hoping someone can help me gain understanding.

Problem #1. Automatic egg turner or not??
idunno.gif

I have read where some say eggs need to be turned 3 times a day but then other say they set their auto turners to turn every 2 or 4 hours. So how often do they really need to be turned? If it is just 3 times then I am not sure I really need the automatic. But if it is better and increases the hatch rate to turn them more then I will have to figure out how to wire one up.

Problem #2. What motor do I need to run an Automatic turner?
hu.gif

I have several kinds of things around here that has all kinds of parts and I am not sure what has what I need to use. Some property we just bought had several OLD TV's, and older model copy machine, old computer, ceiling fans...... I need to know what I can use from any of these things for my incubator. Would there be a motor in this stuff I can use? What kind of motor do I need?

Problem #3 Once I get a motor how do I hook it up? To what do I hook it up to?
barnie.gif

I know that seems like 2 question in one, sorry. I have looked at buying the egg turners like the LG but I can't see paying 50 for it plus the way they are build it won't fix in my cabinet. So now I have to figure out how to build one the easiest way I can. All I am going to have right now is just one tray or drawer for the eggs and one for hatching. Then I have to figure out how to wire it all up.

Problem #4 Thermometers...hydrometers....thermostats ...wiring to where lights go on and off at different temps?
th.gif

So at first I thought I had this part down. Just buy the thermometers/hydrometers like acurite and set up inside to monitor your heat and humidity. Then I started reading about wafer thermostats and water heater thermostats and lights that are wired to come on and off when needed. What..WHAaaT??

What I do understand is needing light bulbs, water, sponges, rocks or bottles of water and fans and how to make the fan works. That I found good simple instructions for and I have what I need for that.
clap.gif
Yea me!!!

So you see why easy got hard?? If I am going to put forth the effort to make this I want it to have the best of all the worlds to promote high hatch rates but I don't want to spend time on things that are not really needed. So Please help me understand. What of all this is really important and needed to have a productive hatching and what are just nice bells and whistles?
Here is what I am using to make my incubator, just as a FYI.

Alot of this I can't answer because I use a store bought incubator with the fan kit that was already installed and an automatic egg turner,but since no one else in jumping in to help I'll answer the couple questions I do know. Turning eggs: Your automatic turners do turn your eggs constantly 24/7. If you hand turn your eggs it is recommended taht you turn at LEAST three times a day but more is better. They need to be turned an odd number of times before you stop to go to bed so the eggs aren't spending the longest period of not being turned on the same side every night.
No matter what you use for heating you will need some calibrated thermometers and at least one hygrometer. I recommend at least two thermometers in a basic table top incubator so if you are going to go with levels I'd definitely have at least one on each level. Just make sure they are all calibrated no matter how new they are. There are many options where heating is concerned. We have some threads dedicated to DIY incubators that may (or may not) be of help just type DIY incubator in the search at the top of the page and it'll bring up the threads.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
That link has lots of ideas. sorry I could not be of more help.

Last edited:
Alot of this I can't answer because I use a store bought incubator with the fan kit that was already installed and an automatic egg turner,but since no one else in jumping in to help I'll answer the couple questions I do know. Turning eggs: Your automatic turners do turn your eggs constantly 24/7. If you hand turn your eggs it is recommended taht you turn at LEAST three times a day but more is better. They need to be turned an odd number of times before you stop to go to bed so the eggs aren't spending the longest period of not being turned on the same side every night.
No matter what you use for heating you will need some calibrated thermometers and at least one hygrometer. I recommend at least two thermometers in a basic table top incubator so if you are going to go with levels I'd definitely have at least one on each level. Just make sure they are all calibrated no matter how new they are. There are many options where heating is concerned. We have some threads dedicated to DIY incubators that may (or may not) be of help just type DIY incubator in the search at the top of the page and it'll bring up the threads.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
That link has lots of ideas. sorry I could not be of more help.

Well you did help some. At least I now know I really do need an automatic turner. So I guess the rest of that question will have to be answered. LOL I am hoping someone will come a long with some good instructions. I have read almost all of the info here on BYC I think. lol I was able to get a lot of info and narrow it down to these detailed questions. Simply because either I didn't find instruction I could fully understand or I read one thing one way and then read it another way. LOL So That is why I asked in this manner. LOL There may not be any help for me..... LOL but at least I tried.
lau.gif

I have read and read and read and I still can not decide on a couple of key issues due to lack of understanding. I am hoping someone can help me gain understanding. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #1. Automatic egg turner or not?? [/COLOR] :idunno I have read where some say eggs need to be turned 3 times a day but then other say they set their auto turners to turn every 2 or 4 hours. So how often do they really need to be turned? If it is just 3 times then I am not sure I really need the automatic. But if it is better and increases the hatch rate to turn them more then I will have to figure out how to wire one up. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #2. What motor do I need to run an Automatic turner? [/COLOR] :confused: [COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR] I have several kinds of things around here that has all kinds of parts and I am not sure what has what I need to use. Some property we just bought had several OLD TV's, and older model copy machine, old computer, ceiling fans...... I need to know what I can use from any of these things for my incubator. Would there be a motor in this stuff I can use? What kind of motor do I need? [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #3 Once I get a motor how do I hook it up? To what do I hook it up to? [/COLOR] :barnie I know that seems like 2 question in one, sorry. I have looked at buying the egg turners like the LG but I can't see paying 50 for it plus the way they are build it won't fix in my cabinet. So now I have to figure out how to build one the easiest way I can. All I am going to have right now is just one tray or drawer for the eggs and one for hatching. Then I have to figure out how to wire it all up. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #4 Thermometers...hydrometers....thermostats ...wiring to where lights go on and off at different temps?[/COLOR]:th [COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR] So at first I thought I had this part down. Just buy the thermometers/hydrometers like acurite and set up inside to monitor your heat and humidity. Then I started reading about wafer thermostats and water heater thermostats and lights that are wired to come on and off when needed. What..WHAaaT?? [COLOR=0000CD]What I do understand is needing light bulbs, water, sponges, rocks or bottles of water and fans and how to make the fan works. That I found good simple instructions for and I have what I need for that. [/COLOR] :clap Yea me!!! So you see why easy got hard?? If I am going to put forth the effort to make this I want it to have the best of all the worlds to promote high hatch rates but I don't want to spend time on things that are not really needed. So Please help me understand. What of all this is really important and needed to have a productive hatching and what are just nice bells and whistles? Here is what I am using to make my incubator, just as a FYI.
Well I hope I can help you but before I say I can you have to answer my questions. 1. The box that you going to use are you trying to use the drawers or are you planing on taking them out with the dividers out also? 2. Are you going to insulate to box? 3. Need the size of box or drawer your planing on using. To answer some of yours 1. You will need to have a egg turned for sure if you want a good hatch rate. Now is where the answers to mine come in. 2. I use a Digital thermostat control i get them off of eBay for around $12. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141501180413 3. I use iridescent lightbulbs to heat with the Digital thermostat to Control it. 4. I use a fan in mine you can use a Computer fan or 115V AC Cooling Fan. 120mm x 38mm HS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YTSB7C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F1vWub0PX0DET. 5. I use a motor out of a microwave turn table the one in the bottom that turns the plate around. You can those off of eBay also http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=250862712274 I hope that helps

Well I hope I can help you but before I say I can you have to answer my questions.
1. The box that you going to use are you trying to use the drawers or are you planing on taking them out with the dividers out also?
2. Are you going to insulate to box?
3. Need the size of box or drawer your planing on using.
To answer some of yours
1. You will need to have a egg turned for sure if you want a good hatch rate. Now is where the answers to mine come in.
2. I use a Digital thermostat control i get them off of eBay for around $12. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141501180413
3. I use iridescent lightbulbs to heat with the Digital thermostat to Control it.
4. I use a fan in mine you can use a Computer fan or 115V AC Cooling Fan. 120mm x 38mm HS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YTSB7C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F1vWub0PX0DET.
5. I use a motor out of a microwave turn table the one in the bottom that turns the plate around. You can those off of eBay also http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=250862712274

I hope that helps
YES THAT HELPS LOL Helps a lot!!

The cabinet.... at first I was going to pull out the drawers and cut out the dividers. Then after looking and reading I thought I might cut the dividers cut but leave enough on the sides to attach hardware cloth to them to make levels. Then I could cut the drawers off the fronts and maybe put hinges on the drawer fronts and reuse them. Cut a window in the top to see in.

Yes I am going to insulate the entire cabinet. I was thinking to put the heat on either side of the bottom with the water pan in the middle on the bottom and the fan there as well. The next level for the hatching and the top level for hatching tray so you can keep and watch on them. I am not sure if that set up with everything being on the bottom will work..... maybe need a fan on top as well to help move the air around.??

As far as the size of the drawers..... the one that are in the cabinet are are 16 x 13.5 about and I think the egg turners I have looked at are 15 x 15 being the smallest one.
barnie.gif

I get confused.
But the thermostat and motor I understand better now after looking at what you used. The fan I think I have it under control as well as far as getting one. Do you measure the humidity also?

Back
Top Bottom