Please help, Feral cats

Bad, bad =^..^=.
sad.png

Glad you caught him/her!

wee.gif

I just talked to hubby, he said he is sooooo glad we didnt have to get the cat out of the trap ourselves. Its a very big cat and he was extremley ticked off!

I am glad you got a hold of your animal control. THey will euthanize it. feral cats are dangerous, they carry diseases like feline HIV, and many other diseases (cant seem to think of all of them today). that your pet cats can get. Their is no taming them, and no one will adopt a tazmanian Devil. Its sad, but something thats got to be done. YOu are doing a good job in taking them to the pound and having them take the cat out of the trap. You dont want to end up with a cat bite, and get cat scratch fever.
ep.gif
We had to deal with this same problem this last spring. We were trapping anything that wanted into the chicken coop and steal our chickens. We had many disapear over a matter of days, and we werent real sure what was after them. Well one morning my daughter went out to take care of the chickens and see saw a pretty cat in the live trap, so be young and dumb about wild cats she lifted the trap door and and shoved her arm in there with the cat. It went bonkers, and in a matters of two seconds it riped her arm up, Not scratches deep cuts, and she had some many bite wounds on her hand that made it hard to believe it was just one cat. Luckily it didnt get away. I cleaned her arm up with soap water and peroxide, but in a few hours her whole arm swelled up and all of her wounds became infected. So we had to take her to the ER. The animal control kept the cat for a few weeks to make suer it didnt have rabies and then put it down. So yes please be very careful about trtansporting them. Dont even let the trap get next to your leg while moving them because they can still do damage through the wire. And all I can say is Good Luck Hunting. I hope you catch them all.

You can either shoot them or live trap and relocate them.

If you trap them PLEASE do NOT relocate them! Relocating them just cause headaches for others that have to now deal with them being dumped off in a new area.

Just trap them and take them to Animal Control.

Have you called animal control?

They come and set traps out here where I live and then you just call once you have something in the trap.

Good luck with your cat situation!

Edit: Glad to hear you were able to take care of the cat!​

Last edited:
May I ask how do you know its feral and not someones pet? Feral cats usually aren't BIG let alone meaty and strong. Was it a big skinny cat? That would make sense. Any cat or animal when its trapped can flip out and want to attack you if they don't know you. Having the cat raging mad doesn't lend any credence that it is feral only mad. Just a thought....

Bubba

PS If a cat eats my chicken, I kill it. I am currently hunting two huge raccoons with my machette at night. Almost got a possum last night to.

If they are truly feral cats you really can't blame them for doing what they can to eat. However, should you choose to trap them please don't release them someplace else. That's just as inhumane as whomever first dumped them. You'd need to take them to the pound or find someone who will take them. You may have luck with feeding them but I really don't know.

I have had problems with a cat messing with my cockatiels outside last spring. The cat was not feral and so was not afraid of me. I did find a solution though.

I used a trap to catch him in and I left him in there all day. About once an hour I'd go out there and start banging on the trap with anything metal that would make a lot of noise. By late afternoon that cat was hating life and when I let him go he never came back again.

I knew who owned him, a neighbor up the street but I knew she wouldn't keep him in at night just because I asked and I couldn't see this cat going to the pound because it didn't know any better.

This way the cat learned a lesson but wasn't harmed and the birds were safe.

Some more notes about feral cats -

Although all pet cats should be collared, some owners don't want to bother, so it would be good to put a note in all your neighbors mailboxes saying that you're trapping cats and to put collars on their pets in case they're caught. A neighbor did that with us, a kind gesture.

Another thing about trapping: usually you'll have to leave a trap in one place for a while so they get used to it. Our neighbor didn't have a lot of success because they moved it too often.

Also, if a neighbor is feeding the feral cats, first, you should talk to them about the problems that causes. If they don't listen, after you remove the known killers, consider trapping, taking the cats to a humane society that will do free spaying, and release them back into your neighborhood. The feeding of the population makes them breed, and removing cats stimulates them to breed too. Spaying is the best way to stabilize a population that will not go away because of a feeding neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom