Please help! Gunk around chickens eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abby32922, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016
    Please help! My chicken has some wierd gunky liquid stuff around her eye! Thanks and merry Christmas!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any sneezing, wheezing, or labored breathing? It looks like it could be a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma or coryza, but no way to tell without testing. Those are contageous and can make carriers of survivors and the flock. Most antiobiotics are not sold in feed stores anymore, but you could get Tylan 50 injectable and give the chicks 0.2 ml orally twice a day for up to 5 days to help treat symptoms. Make sure they are drinking water, and add a small amount of yogurt to their chick feed several days a week to help with immunity and to help prevent diarrhea.

3. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016

Hi and thanks, so is there anything I can do? Should I take it to the vet? Do you know any good poultry vets around Covington LA?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Clean the eyes with saline or water and cotton. Terramycin eye ointment, if it is still available in feed stores, Vetericyn eye gel or plain neosporin ointment can be applied twice a day to eyes with bubbles and swelling. Take her to a vet if possible where they can give antibiotics, and help identify the infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by