Please help-----Has anyone used Dr Bronners Castile Liquid Soap-Peppermint for mice/rats/vole??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Messipaw, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I read an post on here on ridding rats from the chicken pen. Someone mentioned using Dr Bronners Castile Liquid Soap-Peppermint mixed with water. We have never had an issue before. We have had a pretty mild winter here in NY. The ground is certainly not frozen. I have been finding holes everywhere and poops in the nesting boxes. I'm scared and grossed out.
    We put water down the holes and the cats caught two....I know there are more. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

2. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Anyone have suggestions on ridding these beast?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do a search on rats......you'll find a lot of threads and ideas.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I use tamper proof bait boxes and chunx poison. I put one right in the run next to feed or in a corner of run (where rats travel) and one in the shed that the feed is stored. I store feed in metal can but also take feed from run each night and put in shed. I set the feeder right on the tamper proof box in shed at night.

Been using this form of poison for three years now and not had any problems. Only once was a dead rodent on lawn, put in trash, and never had problem with the three house cats that regularly patrol outside.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by