PLEASE HELP! HEN CAME IN CONTACT WITH BURNT FOOD FUMES FOR AN HOUR. SHOWING SYMPTOMS WHAT CAN I DO??

Hensii

Chirping
Dec 29, 2021
Bahrain-Middle East
everyone please help. My 5yo hen was in the hall away from the kitchen where my mom put the food on the stove before going out. I was on the above floor. After a hour and half my mom called me to check if she'd turned it off and I went down and there were fumes everywhere which even damaged my throat. I've opened the the windows all possible ventilation downstairs and brought the bird upstairs. I couldn't smell much fumes on her hall but it was still there. She's currently in my room with the windows and fan open. She's shaking her head often and even did that gasping thing often. What do I do about the cage/food/water that came in contact. What can I do about her? Please help

Edit it was fish gravy in a clay pot not teflon.

She seems to be fine now. Reduced her gaping/shaking her head after I turned off the fans. Eating and drinking normally too

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-with-smoke-inhalation.257642/

Here's a thread from 2009, you'll need to up the humidity, do you have a humidifier? keep the bedding something dust free, one of the replies said to use a respiratory antibiotic if her breathing is really bad.

I put peppermint and eucalyptus on the bedding of my three hens when they had upper respiratory infections. Along with a humidifier.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-with-smoke-inhalation.257642/

Here's a thread from 2009, you'll need to up the humidity, do you have a humidifier? keep the bedding something dust free, one of the replies said to use a respiratory antibiotic if her breathing is really bad.

I put peppermint and eucalyptus on the bedding of my three hens when they had upper respiratory infections. Along with a humidifier.
I don't have a humidifier but I'll change the bedding thank you! She seems to be fine now though surprisingly. Eating and drinking well and reduced shaking her head and gaping when I turned the fans off. Should I still take her to the vet?

I don't have a humidifier but I'll change the bedding thank you! She seems to be fine now though surprisingly. Eating and drinking well and reduced shaking her head and gaping when I turned the fans off. Should I still take her to the vet?
That's good! Keep an eye on her and go with your gut. She might not have had too much of exposure.

If she is doing better, don't take her to the vet. Chickens don't really need vets, I think it is way better to treat them by yourself. Also, just a note, but chickens breathe in two times the amount of air than humans do.

Back
Top Bottom