Please help - hen has red raw butt covered in maggots or worms

canuck chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Hello. My old auracana has a red raw looking butt, the area is teeming with white bugs (maggots maybe?), her tail feathers are covered in a smelly brown discharge and she's acting like you'd expect - sick.

I gave her a dose of tylan because it's the only thing I can think of. I'm about to give her a soak in a warm tub, gotta get some disinfecting soap - Betadine maybe?

Any help or thoughts please???
She's been with me a long time. I don't want her to suffer or die. I don't have a bird vet in the area.
Thanks for any help.

maggots look like worms, if they are crawling bugs they may be lice/mites and you would want to use a poultry dust on her. A good cleaning will help alot, keep her separated from the others until all bugs are gone. If she has been with the others you should check them/dust them too

Dusting the living quarters is great or spray. The old timers painted the roosts with used motor oil I guess it smoothered the lice. I add DE (diatomos earth - the spelling isn't right) to the sand and if you get the food grade put some in their feed.
But for the right now with your hen. Warm bath is a great idea - I'd use Ivory or some other gentle soap since she is irritated. Or baby shampoo. I would think some sort of lotion would help but it would have to be non toxic. Then just keep her warm for a few days and see if she improves.... How is her appetite? Yoghurt is something my birds like, crumbled hard boiled egg as well. If she is really weak I would suggest Nutri drench or sugar water. Some of the other folks on this forum could probably give you better information as I am barely out of the novice stage myself.
Good Luck

Thanks for all the tips. I'm about to fit out a dog cage for her so she can rest after her bath. I'll put in a dish of yogurt and some treats and see how it goes.

Maggots you need to pick off with tweezers. Wash her really well and try to pick them all off. Make sure your coop is clean and not full of flies.

Once I got her cleaned up the site looked really bad. The maggots seemed to be coming from inside of her and I decided that rather than letting her suffer while I was messing around trying to cure her and no bird vet around that the best thing to do would be to euthanize her. I gave her a soak in some lidocaine and benzocaine and this sedated her so I could take her to be euthanized. Her best feathered friend seems very sad without her.

Very sorry
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom