Please help! Hen has torn skin on both sides and broken off wing feathers!

Juju2773

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
About a week ago I noticed my ameracauna hen having some fuzzy back feathers and the tops of her wings add lost some feathers looking a bit pink. I thought possibly mites so I treated her with diatomaceous earth, but with each day it gets worse and now today I noticed the other hens all pecking at her and just being mean. She’s not bleeding, but I leaned down to try to get a better look and she actually ran under me seeming for help. She let me pick her up and I lifted her wings on both sides. It is very bad! Her skin has been torn and is wide open on both sides! Like a hand size pocket exposed! It doesn’t smell but does look like it has some Debris in there. How do I go about cleaning that?? Do I squeeze hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in the opening? Or betadine? I believe it may be from a you g rooster learning to Mount but I am not sure. I only have two roosters.

Last edited:
It sounds like rooster damage. Roosters competing to breed a hen or extremely large , clumsy roosters can cause such damage. Separate her from the roosters, apply antibiotic ointment, keep flies away from her, and hope for the best. Hens can heal from such injuries. Good luck.

It sounds like rooster damage. Roosters competing to breed a hen or extremely large , clumsy roosters can cause such damage. Separate her from the roosters, apply antibiotic ointment, keep flies away from her, and hope for the best. Hens can heal from such injuries. Good luck.
Thank you, will the skin re-attach to the body? It’s wide open like a hand sized pocket. I just tried to gently spray some water into it to flush it out because it has debris in it. Even poop, probably from the roosters foot. It looks really gross. I flushed both sides and then flushed with a betadine water mix . I’m in the process now of creating her a separation space inside the coop. So they can still see each other. I really hope she makes it through. She’s the sweetest hen I have. All this stress and she’s still been pumping out a beautiful blue egg every single day. Poor girl.

Pictures of the wound may be helpful. Hibiclens and water is a bit less destructive to skin and tissue than betadine. You can use the betadine if weakened with water. Then apply some plain antibiotic ointment twice daily after cleaning to keep it from drying out.

Thank you, will the skin re-attach to the body? It’s wide open like a hand sized pocket. I just tried to gently spray some water into it to flush it out because it has debris in it. Even poop, probably from the roosters foot. It looks really gross. I flushed both sides and then flushed with a betadine water mix . I’m in the process now of creating her a separation space inside the coop. So they can still see each other. I really hope she makes it through. She’s the sweetest hen I have. All this stress and she’s still been pumping out a beautiful blue egg every single day. Poor girl.
Sounds like you are doing all you can. Really hope she recovers. Lots of dynamics go on with flocks. I'm only on my first year and it's really alot of work when you care. I don't think most people realize this. I'm sure just keeping a few hens is easier but I couldn't get rid of my rooster and now I'm seeing hatchlings born which is such a miracle to witness

About a week ago I noticed my ameracauna hen having some fuzzy back feathers and the tops of her wings add lost some feathers looking a bit pink. I thought possibly mites so I treated her with diatomaceous earth, but with each day it gets worse and now today I noticed the other hens all pecking at her and just being mean. She’s not bleeding, but I leaned down to try to get a better look and she actually ran under me seeming for help. She let me pick her up and I lifted her wings on both sides. It is very bad! Her skin has been torn and is wide open on both sides! Like a hand size pocket exposed! It doesn’t smell but does look like it has some Debris in there. How do I go about cleaning that?? Do I squeeze hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in the opening? Or betadine? I believe it may be from a you g rooster learning to Mount but I am not sure. I only have two roosters.
One more thought here, you said two roosters... How many hens? When I only had 3 hens for my rooster he was more aggressive. They like to boss around/mate with a few girls.
I added two more and he hasn't been as bad until now two are on nests.
It's alot of moving things around but I separate him with two hens into a small pen in the early morning and take them out to roam then swap out the others into the little pen and let him and the other girls have the run. Not sure of your set up but it's a juggling act since I decided to keep him. He has his sweet moments for sure when he is out roaming and is excited to share a grub with the hens, he also let's them eat first and I still handle him every day to pet and try to calm him

Back
Top Bottom